New venues on A1GP calendar 2008 / 09

The Nation vs Nation Championship with 22 Countries taking part across Europe Asia Australasia Africa and America during the off season.

Moderator: CrazyChick

New venues on A1GP calendar 2008 / 09

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 9:31 pm

By Steven English, Monday 9th June 2008

A1GP will visit several new venues next season, including a street circuit in Jakarta, Indonesia, and the Algarve International Circuit in Portugal.

Indonesia hosted races at the Sentul circuit in the first two seasons of A1GP, but a new street circuit will be developed in the capital city for the third event of the season in November.

The 2.9-mile Algarve circuit, near Poritmao, is due to be completed in October and will open with the final round of the World Superbike Championship on November 2. It will host the penultimate round of the 2008/9 A1GP season on April 12.

They are the second and third new circuits on next season's 11-date calendar, after Mugello was announced as the opening round of the season last month.

Brno in the Czech Republic and Eastern Creek, Australia have both been dropped from the calendar for next season. Eastern Creek has hosted a race in each of the three A1GP seasons so far, while the series has visited Brno for the last two years.

Although both the British and South African rounds are on the calendar, the venue for each is yet to be confirmed. The Durban street race is not traditionally confirmed until closer to the event, but there is a possibility that the British race will move away from Brands Hatch.

The 2008/09 calendar (subject to FIA approval):

Code: Select all
Date           Venue         Country
September 21   Mugello       Italy - postponed
October 5      Zandvoort     Netherlands
November 9     Chengdu       China
November 23    Sepang        Malaysia
December 14    TBA           China - cancelled
January 25     Taupo         New Zealand
February 8     Jakarta       Indonesia
February 22    TBA           South Africa
March 15       Mexico City   Mexico
April 12       Algarve       Portugal
May 3          Brands Hatch  Great Britain
May 17         Interlagos    Brazil

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68165
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70081
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70426
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72626

Autosport
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Re: New venues on A1GP calendar 2008 / 09

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:36 pm

China round moved to Chengdu

By Steven English Tuesday 26th August 2008

A1GP will move to a new venue for this season's round in China, with the Chengdu International Circuit hosting a round in November.

Shanghai and Zhuhai both held races last year and Beijing also hosted a round in 2006, but this year the series will make its debut at Chengdu in the Sichuan province, where there was a severe earthquake in May.

Profits from the event will go to the Sichuan Earthquake Relief Fund....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70081

Autosport
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby AlesiFan » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 3:45 pm

They don't seem to be able to get much continuity for the old A1 GP - which I thought they would have wanted to build up the crowds. >?:PLO
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby vikki » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 8:25 pm

the chinese rounds have all been a bit of a joke so far - lets hope this one is a bit better.

but when i hoped they would drop some of the mickey mouse tracks brno wasn't what i had in mind.you would have thought it would have been quite a profitable race for them too given the location. >?:PLO
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby H_O_O_K_W_O_O_D™ » Sun 14 Sep, 2008 8:36 pm

vikki wrote:the chinese rounds have all been a bit of a joke so far - lets hope this one is a bit better.

but when i hoped they would drop some of the mickey mouse tracks brno wasn't what i had in mind.you would have thought it would have been quite a profitable race for them too given the location. >?:PLO

The Chinese rounds have all been a bit of a joke so far - let’s hope this one is a bit better.

But when I hoped they would drop some of the Mickey Mouse tracks Bruno wasn't what I had in mind. You would have thought it would have been quite a profitable race for them too given the location.
Mass immigration was the way that the Labour Government was going to make the UK truly multicultural and rub the Right's nose in diversity and render their arguments out of date. Mr Neather defended the policy, saying mass immigration has 'enriched' Britain and made London a more attractive and cosmopolitan place.
H_O_O_K_W_O_O_D™
World Champion WUM

Postby CrazyChick » Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:04 pm

H_O_O_K_W_O_O_Dâ„¢ wrote: .......would drop some of the Mickey Mouse tracks Bruno wasn't what.....

It's Brno not Bruno.
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 2:14 pm

A1GP will make its first visit to S. America with a race at Interlagos on the 17th May.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72626
CrazyChick
Admin

Return to Fond Memories Of A1 GP