Rule changes for 2008/09 season

The Nation vs Nation Championship with 22 Countries taking part across Europe Asia Australasia Africa and America during the off season.

Moderator: CrazyChick

Rule changes for 2008/09 season

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 11 Aug, 2008 12:58 pm

By Steven English, Monday 11th August 2008

A1GP organisers have made several changes to the series' regulations for this season, including the addition of a mandatory pit stop to the Sprint Race.

Teams will now have to pit between laps four and eight of the Sprint, with the race distance being increased from 19 to 24 minutes plus one lap.

"We never stop looking for ways to improve the action," said A1GP chairman Tony Teixeira. "The two pit stops in the Feature Race have proved to be the high-pressure points of the events and we felt an additional one would add another variable to the Sprint Race."

The points system has also been changed for the Sprint Race with rewards reduced to the top eight places, scored at 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1...........

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69746

Autosport

they've also tinkered with the qualifying reducing the 4 sessions to 10 mins each and ditched the age limit in the Friday rookie session.
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Re: Rule changes for 2008/09 season

Postby Frozen_pea » Mon 11 Aug, 2008 3:34 pm

A1GP really doesn't do it for me.
I've tried watching multiple races, even seen the cars perform live in the streets of Manchester but cannot get excited about it.

I can't see how introducting a mandatory pitstop in the sprint race can help improve the racing, and is it still classed as a sprint race?
Frozen_pea
Admin

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 12 Aug, 2008 12:09 pm

Frozen_pea wrote:I can't see how introducting a mandatory pitstop in the sprint race can help improve the racing, and is it still classed as a sprint race?

Agree

A1GP is much like GP2 with a samilar format, but GP2 don't feel the need to add a pitstop to the sprint race to make it exciting, whereas a1gp (wrongly imo) feel its necessary.
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:13 pm

Due to all the cars not being prepared in time, the organisors have brought in a new rule, so only the teams best 9 sprint and feature results will count.

New points system for 2008/09 season

By Steven English, Monday 29th September 2008

A1GP organisers have announced a revised points system for this season's championship, reducing the disadvantage for those teams not able to compete at Zandvoort this weekend.

The season opener in the Netherlands will not be a non-points round, even though at least five teams are not expected to receive their cars in time to compete in the event. Instead, the championship will only count each team's best nine scores from the ten rounds.

Every nation will be able to drop both the sprint and feature race scores from their worst event.

A1GP CEO Pete da Silva believes delaying the test by a further day could increase the number of teams able to compete at Zandvoort, but says the new scoring system is there for those that will not make it.

"The teams have been working extremely hard in prepation for this weekend's race and by putting the testing dates back as late as possible, we hope to ensure the maximum number of cars possible are available to race," he said....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71025

Autosport
CrazyChick
Admin

Return to Fond Memories Of A1 GP