Surfers Paradise lands five-year deal

The Nation vs Nation Championship with 22 Countries taking part across Europe Asia Australasia Africa and America during the off season.

Moderator: CrazyChick

Surfers Paradise lands five-year deal

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 2:16 pm

By Pablo Elizalde, Tuesday 11th November 2008

A1GP organisers have announced the series will return to Australia next season after signing a five-year deal with the Surfers Paradise circuit.

The first race on the Queensland track will be on 22-25 October next year, in the fifth season of the one-make championship.

"It has been a big hole in the A1GP calendar this year not being in Australia," said Team Australia seat holder and former F1 world champion Alan Jones. "To say I am thrilled about this deal is an understatement.

"Having the chance to race in my own back yard is something special for me and the team. We are looking forward to.........

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72069

Autosport
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Re: Surfers Paradise lands five-year deal

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 2:22 pm

Looks like Indycar won't be racing at Surfers, with A1GP taking its place...

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3851.shtml
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby Pepper » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 2:41 pm

Not surprised at that, Indycar did not want to travel that far.

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Postby AlesiFan » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 5:32 pm

Was there some clash of dates between the race at Surfers and the IRL race at Motegi or am I getting confused again? @@!#
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby CrazyChick » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 1:26 pm

Motegi clashed with Long beach this year, with Motegi hosting the IRL lot and Long Beach hosting the last ever CC race.

For next year Motegi's date could be moved to later in the season (19sept) and so Longbeach can be added to the IRL calendar in it's traditonal early season date (19 April 09).

According to Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72074) IRL wanted the race early in the season (clash with F1 GP) or at the end of season with Motegi (Football clash)
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby AlesiFan » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 6:54 pm

CrazyChick wrote:Motegi clashed with Long beach this year, with Motegi hosting the IRL lot and Long Beach hosting the last ever CC race.

Oh, er, well, Long Beach is quite close to Surfers geographically speaking.Easy to get them mixed up. :whistle:
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Return to Fond Memories Of A1 GP