Toro Rosso retain Kvyat

All the lastest Gossip, debate, results and reports on the Current Grand Prix. Season starts in Bahrain, with Hamilton, Button, Schumacher, Rosberg, Vettel, Webber, Alonso and Massa all predicted to be fighting it out for the title.

Moderator: Wacky

Toro Rosso retain Kvyat

Postby NewMrMe » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 4:22 pm

Another piece of the 2017 jigsaw is in place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37740902

I find this one a bit surprising. I thought Pierre Gasly would have got the call as he had got over his early season inconsistency in GP2. It does make me wonder if Red Bull are looking at dropping Gasly as if he does win the GP2 championship there doesn't appear to be anything Red Bull can do with him.

Gasly, who has been in GP2 for 2 and a bit years, is battling for the title with GP2 rookie Antonio Giovinazzi. Maybe Red Bull don't like drivers struggling to beat less experienced competitors. When Antonio Felix da Costa was overlooked for the Toro Rosso seat (in favour of Kvyat for 2014) despite being third in the Renault World Series, he had been beaten by a rookie (Stoffel Vandoorne, who was second).

Interestingly the Red Bull talent well is starting to look dry. Their next driver after Gasly is Niko Kari and he was only 10th in the European Formula 3 Championship.
NewMrMe

Return to F1 Press Conference