Rosberg jacks it in

All the lastest Gossip, debate, results and reports on the Current Grand Prix. Season starts in Bahrain, with Hamilton, Button, Schumacher, Rosberg, Vettel, Webber, Alonso and Massa all predicted to be fighting it out for the title.

Moderator: Wacky

Rosberg jacks it in

Postby KG » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 4:07 pm

Bloody Nora blow me sideways :shock: :shock:

Formula 1 world champion Nico Rosberg has announced his retirement with immediate effect.

on a scale of 1 to 44 how smug do you think Hamilton is feeling, could Buttons carrear take an interesting twist, how sore is Alonso finger from hitting redial

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ement?#_=_
KG
World Champion

Re: Rosberg jacks it in

Postby RedPoole » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 8:50 pm

I think Fernando and Seb would both be desperate to get hold of that drive. I think Merc will want some experience too in order to defend the constructors title, maybe Ricciardo could be a good fit.
RedPoole
Admin

Postby NewMrMe » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 9:31 pm

:shock:

Well thats a shock.

What I don't understand is that his contract expired at the end of the season. Mercedes only wanted to give him a 1 year extension but he pushed for 3 years and they ended up agreeing on 2.

I don't think either Red Bull driver will replace him. The new 2017 rules will make aero performance more important so an Adrian Newey designed car may be a very good place to be. I don't see it being Vettel or Alonso as Ferrari or McLaren will probably make any buy out conditions prohibitive. The three options I can see are.

Bottas - Managed by Toto Wolff and the engine supply could be something Mercedes can negotiate over.
Perez - During the silly season when he was linked with Renault is was taken as read that there was a buy out clause in his contract at Force India. If the terms are defined in his contract than it probably wouldn't mean the silly money that drivers without but out clauses would cost.
Wehrlein - On Mercedes books as a junior driver and so far does not have a contract for next season.
NewMrMe

Postby NewMrMe » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 9:37 pm

Another point regarding Vettel or Alonso is that both are out of contract at the end of 2017. Would it really be worth spending silly money to get them out of their contract for 2017 or would it be better to sign them for 2018 and use a stop-gap driver for next year?
NewMrMe

Postby plutoman » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 5:23 pm

I agree with all NMM's points. I think Bottas is the most likely 'stop-gap' candidate. Good enough to win if Hamilton falters, and probably prepared to take a one-year option if it means he can win GPs. Would slot in next to Alonso or Vettel if Hamilton leaves at the end of the year, or would likely be welcomed at Williams or Ferrari if not. I can't see Mercedes giving the seat to Ocon or Wehrlein, as the management are far too conservative to risk it. Personally I can't see a problem with either of them. They'll either sink or swim, and Mercedes can replace them easily enough if they're not performing.

The left-field candidate here is Button. Does he really want to retire, or would the best car on the grid persuade him otherwise? He wasn't too shabby against Hamilton at McLaren, and he'd fit the bill in every other way, but not sure what his contractual situation is at McLaren.

You've got to feel sorry for Hulkenberg and Magnussen. Timing is everything, and they've basically been forced into signing less than favourable contracts to keep their careers afloat, but if all this had happened a few weeks earlier, they'd both have been near the top of list for Mercedes, surely.
"I ain't heard that much worth listening to. Just a lot of guys laying down a lot of rules and regulations."
plutoman
World Champion

Postby Murray Walker » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 9:06 pm

I didn't see that coming. Wants to retire at the top I guess.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby AlesiFan » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 12:43 pm

plutoman wrote: You've got to feel sorry for Hulkenberg and Magnussen. Timing is everything, and they've basically been forced into signing less than favourable contracts to keep their careers afloat, but if all this had happened a few weeks earlier, they'd both have been near the top of list for Mercedes, surely.

I'm not sure. According to my mate whose company sponsors a Touring Car team - and therefore obviously has intimate knowledge of the F1 decision making process - Toto doesn't rate Hulkenberg. Which proves not for the first time in my opinion F1 bosses are just as irrational as the rest of us!

And apparently not everyone is convinced by Magnussen either - and it seems Renault weren't convinced enough to give him a long term deal. Maybe a bit like his Da? The application doesn't quite match the ability ? (Or maybe that's unfair - I have only seen Junior in one race in F1).

He also alleged Wehrlein is a bit of a prima donna - which Mercedes don't need. What they need is someone who is fast, reliable, can pick up the baton when the No1 car has an off day and is completely unfazed when his team-mate acts like four year old who has had his favourite toy stolen. And since Riccardo Patrese has retired Bottas would be the obvious answer.
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby NewMrMe » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 7:42 pm

Now confirmed that Bottas will join Mercedes to replace Rosberg and Massa will stay at Williams and not retire after all.

In other news Pascal Wehrlein will race for Sauber.
NewMrMe

Postby KG » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:05 am

T'was a given, Williams must have really given Merc a run for their money

The question now is, how hungry is Bottas?
KG
World Champion

Return to F1 Press Conference