Bye Bye Franck!

Discuss Indy Racing League, Champ Car (as was), Formula Atlantic and Super Vee here

Moderator: Pepper

Bye Bye Franck!

Postby stradlin21 » Thu 24 Apr, 2008 9:07 pm

Just three rounds into the unified IndyCar series and things are starting to bite already as Conquest Racing have announced that they have sacked driver Franck Perera

He has been replaced with Pro Series veteran Jaime Camara who has long since been tipped for an IndyCar drive

but here's the thing, i think there is more to this....

It became apparent last month that the primary sponsor of Conquest, Opes Prime collasped and went into recievership

Opes Prime was brought to Conquest by Perera and although he has several smaller sponsors it appears that they needed the money from other sources

Camara has strong links to Andretti Green Racing has probably picked up a personal sponsorship deal and to a small team like Conquest that is crucial

Camara is now on the official entry list for Kansas this weekend and he will make his long awaited IndyCar debut

A graduate from the "struggling" Pro Series replaces a graduate from the "amazing" Atlantic series

well i never!

There's a rumour going round that Dale Coyne could replace one their drivers with an "Indycar veteran" to steady their team

Should that be Bruno Junqueira and he gets replaced by the rumoured Alex Barron then what does that say for the champ car drivers?
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Re: Bye Bye Franck!

Postby vikki » Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:46 pm

i admit i havent seen much of franck since he went stateside but he was pretty much invisible in f3 and invisible in gp2.

i remember in gp2 he stunned everyone by finishing on the podium in monaco out of the blue.everyone wondered if he could do anything like it again.but he just went back to being invisible.

while i wouldn't disagree that there was greater depth in the irl field before unification guys like bruno and justin wilson are different imo to guys like perera.hopefully they get a chance to show it.especially on the non ovals of course!
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby CrazyChick » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:16 am

A graduate from the "struggling" Pro Series replaces a graduate from the "amazing" Atlantic series

No knowledge of the junior american series, but why is the (IRL) Pro Series "struggling" and the (champcar) Atlantics not ?
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby stradlin21 » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 4:40 pm

it's not struggling, it's was steady for a few years and recently it's really started pushing on

however, champ car fans will have you believe that the Pro Series is a joke and Atlantics is way way better

Atlantics is a good series don't get my wrong but the pro series is level with it no doubt

it's just funny that after years of bashing from champ car fans it's a mid grid pro series driver replacing a driver that finished 2nd in last seasons atlantic championship
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby Pepper » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 6:48 pm

Thanks for the update

I think the sponsorship deal is key to this!

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Postby CrazyChick » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks for the update stradlin,

as they say: Money makes the world go round...
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby Pepper » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:53 pm

INDY LIGHTS VET CAMARA REPLACES ROOKIE PERERA

Conquest Racing has signed Jaime Camara to replace rookie Franck Perera for the remainder of the IndyCar season.

The Brazilian will take over the reigns of the #34 entry starting with this weekend's event at Kansas Speedway.

"It's a great opportunity for me to be driving for Conquest Racing," said Camara, who spent three seasons in the Indy Lights series with Sam Schmidt Motorsports and Andretti/Green Racing.

"My goal was always to go to IndyCar, I never looked at going to Europe to try different series, it was always here. It's a good feeling that I have now, I am happy that it happened with the merger going on because now all the teams are here and the Series is gaining momentum and that's going to be great."

Perera joined Conquest after three wins and a runner-up finish in the Atlantic Championship last season. In three starts this season, he finished 14th in Miami, crashed in St. Petersburg and finished 6th at Long Beach. However, the loss of sponsors Opes Prime, who filed for bankruptcy, and ARES ultimately cost him his full time ride.

"Jamie will be a great addition to our team," said team owner Eric Bachelart. "With his oval experience and Enrique Bernoldi's road, street course experience it will be a good combination.

"That being said, as much as we are happy to have Jaime join the team, we are saddened that it is at Franck's expense. We are keeping him as our reserve driver for the remainder of the year but he will be released should a racing seat be available for him with another team."

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Postby Fiorano » Tue 06 May, 2008 4:36 pm

The champcar series is gone and stradlin is still carrying on the same argument. I guess I'll feck off for another six months as I couldn't be doing with dealing with the same old shi*e.
Fiorano
World Champion

Postby vikki » Tue 06 May, 2008 4:54 pm

Fiorano wrote:The champcar series is gone and stradlin is still carrying on the same argument. I guess I'll feck off for another six months as I couldn't be doing with dealing with the same old shi*e.

we dont see stradders much in these parts these days either fiorano. he just pops in every so often to keep us right on indy matters. :D
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Return to Indycar