Ernhardt Jnr offered $100,000 to go Indycar racing

Discuss Indy Racing League, Champ Car (as was), Formula Atlantic and Super Vee here

Moderator: Pepper

Ernhardt Jnr offered $100,000 to go Indycar racing

Postby Pepper » Sat 10 May, 2008 6:32 pm

After hearing Danica Patrick's offer to swap cars with Dale Earnhardt Jr., Texas Motor Speedway boss Eddie Gossage has given the NASCAR star 100,000 more reasons to make the switch.

Gossage is offering Dale Jr. $100,000 to trade in his NASCAR ride for an Indy car seat at the June 7 race at TMS.

"It was interesting to learn Dale Jr. and Danica discussed trading cars on his (XM Satellite Radio) 'Unrestricted' show," said Gossage. "We would love to facilitate having Dale Jr. in an Indy car for the Bombardier Learjet 550k. After all, next to the Indy 500, it's the biggest IndyCar race of the year. Junior would make it even bigger."

Junior, who has no experience in an open-wheel car, is scheduled to compete in a Sprint Cup race the following day, June 8, at Pocono.

"It is definitely possible schedule-wise and that's what made it intriguing to us," Gossage said. "We've spoken with the Indy Racing League, and Junior would have to pass a physical. The IRL's Competition Department would then have to make a decision on whether he would be approved for racing or would have to undergo a rookie test. Either way, there is time to fit in a rookie orientation test."

"What a bonus it would be for the fans in Texas to see Dale Jr. make history here again. He won his first career Nationwide and Sprint Cup races here and this would further enhance the historical bond between him and Texas Motor Speedway."

No word from Hendrick Motorsports on if they would allow Junior to race in the IndyCar event but given how much they've invested in him, it's highly unlikely they would allow him to make his open-wheel debut on the high speed oval at Texas.

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Re: Ernhardt Jnr offered $100,000 to go Indycar racing

Postby LadySnowcat » Sat 10 May, 2008 8:17 pm

Would he fit?...
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby stradlin21 » Sat 10 May, 2008 9:49 pm

.....eh?

Was that a joke or a serious question? Dale Jr is in as good shape as any driver in the world

i take it that you don't know who he is..............?
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby LadySnowcat » Sat 10 May, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi stradlin...

Of course I have heard of him... and his late Dad...

But however fit he is (better than JPM I would hope, as he certainly doesn't look as fit as he used to be, but I could well be wrong there...) he will be considerably larger than Danica n'est pas so fitting him into her car is likely to be difficult...

The pictures I have seen of him make me believe that he is of a fairly substantial build...

You know the probs ex F1 types have if they try to squeeze back into a single seater cockpit... even after a short time away...
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Pepper » Sun 11 May, 2008 9:21 am

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has respectfully declined Eddie Gossage's offer to compete in the upcoming IndyCar Series race at Texas Motor Speedway.

"He thinks I'm a cheap date I guess," Earnhardt Jr. said jokingly when asked about the $100,000 offer made by Gossage to climb into an Indy car for the June 7 race.

"I wouldn't be able to do it, my conscience wouldn't let me. If they offered me more money, my conscience wouldn't let me feel comfortable with doing it."

Gossage made the offer after hearing IndyCar driver Danica Patrick tell Earnhardt on his satellite radio show that if he ever wanted to experience what it was like to drive an open-wheel car, he should do it at Texas.

Earnhardt suggested Gossage might have gotten his attention if his offer had been a little higher, say in the $5-million to $10-million range.

"He's kind of like Dr. Evil," Earnhardt said, comparing Gossage to the fictional Austin Powers character. "His first estimate of holding the world ransom was a little underfigured."

Gossage, who claimed the offer was not a publicity stunt to sell tickets, says he would consider increasing his offer to $125,000 but scoffed at the $5-million figure.

"He's really lost a sense of reality if he thinks he's worth $5 million," he tells ESPN.com. "Boy, I think highly of Dale Jr., but $5 million? He really thinks highly of himself, doesn't he?"

Junior says if he had the opportunity to test an open-wheel car at Texas and the circumstances were right, he would do it. But that would be the extent of it.

Is Indycar finally fighting back at NASCAR.....

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Return to Indycar