GEORGE TRYING TO GET TRACY TO INDYCAR

Discuss Indy Racing League, Champ Car (as was), Formula Atlantic and Super Vee here

Moderator: Pepper

GEORGE TRYING TO GET TRACY TO INDYCAR

Postby Pepper » Sat 05 Jul, 2008 8:29 pm

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - Canadian Paul Tracy has been conspicuous by his absence this season in the wake of the unification of the two North American open-wheel series.

The former CART champion and longtime star has run only the CART series finale in April at Long Beach and has so far failed to find a ride in the surviving IRL IndyCar Series.

Tony George, founder of the IndyCar Series and owner of the Vision Racing team, is trying to get Tracy back in a car this season, if only for a couple of races.

"We're still trying to make something happen," George said Friday at Watkins Glen International, where the IndyCars will race on Sunday. "We're running out of time."

Vision Racing fields full-time rides for Ed Carpenter, George's stepson, and A.J. Foyt IV. George said he would like to put Tracy in a third car, but only if he can find financial support.

"It's just a matter of finding some sponsorship," George said. "I can't do anything to dilute our primary effort. And I don't want to. It's got to be a deal we can take to Paul and he's comfortable with.

"I think I have figured out what would be the best way to structure it. But until I get some indication there's some sponsorship support for it, then there's not much more to do at this point."

Speculation was that the Toronto native was initially offered a package of four road and street races, beginning in two weeks at Mid-Ohio. But George said it's more likely now to be two races, including later this month at Edmonton, and possibly the race in August at Sonoma.

George said he is negotiating with a sponsor, but the deal is taking a long time to get done - maybe too long.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id ... racing-irl

I miss Paul Tracy - a fomer CC champion who caused a lot of arguements at times....

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Re: GEORGE TRYING TO GET TRACY TO INDYCAR

Postby CrazyChick » Sun 06 Jul, 2008 7:20 pm

From what i've seen of Paul Tracy he is deffo a larger than life character, a cross between JPM and JV...

IRL needs people like that to attract the viewers, would be good to see what he can do in irl aswell
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Return to Indycar