Luczo Dragon adds Belle Isle

Discuss Indy Racing League, Champ Car (as was), Formula Atlantic and Super Vee here

Moderator: Pepper

Luczo Dragon adds Belle Isle

Postby Pepper » Mon 25 Aug, 2008 3:07 pm

The Luczo Dragon Racing team has confirmed that it will return to the IndyCar Series for next weekends Detroit Indy Grand Prix at Belle Isle.

The team has been running a part campaign in the series this season, with Tomas Scheckter having taken part in four events so far this year.

With the South African having taken part in four races to date, including the Infineon event this past weekend, the addition of the Belle Isle race will take the team's total up to six, with the #12 car also set to take part in the season finale at Chicagoland next month.

"Luczo Dragon Racing is excited to add another race to its 2008 season with Symantec," team co-owner Jay Penske said. "We believe the Detroit Grand Prix at Belle Isle is one of the great stops on the IRL schedule.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/indycar ... _isle.html

I have always wondered about the team name.....Especially when the co-owner has a better name!

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Re: Luczo Dragon adds Belle Isle

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:33 am

The Wiki entry on Jay Penske says the team name came from his co-owners surname and one of Jay's other businesses Dragon Books.

Good to hear schekter getting 2 more races this season,
what are the chances of Luczo Dragon doing a full season's racing next year ?
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby The hairy Boots on » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 9:52 pm

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Alex Lloyd. Wasn't he meant to be doing a few races this year?
:ie:

Don't hate the playa, hate the game...

Save the drama, for your mama...
The hairy Boots on
Podium

Postby Pepper » Thu 28 Aug, 2008 2:45 pm

Yes he was.....

He is currently a development driver for Chip Gannasi and did race in the Undy 500. The car was run under a joint venture from Chip G and Rahal Letterman.

He qualified 19th but did not finish after he crashed heavily on the exit from turn 4 and slid backwards at speed down the pit lane!

Pepper

Postby stradlin21 » Fri 29 Aug, 2008 4:21 pm

CrazyChick wrote:The Wiki entry on Jay Penske says the team name came from his co-owners surname and one of Jay's other businesses Dragon Books.

Good to hear schekter getting 2 more races this season,
what are the chances of Luczo Dragon doing a full season's racing next year ?

Very high chances of seeing them full time in 09

They have a very good operation and what appears to be committed sponsor and are good to run full time next season with Tomas Scheckter and possibly a 2nd entry at Indy

They have 2 brand new Dallara chassis and one they purchased off Jon Herb with a super speedway setup

The money, the cars, the driver all look to be in place, they used this season’s limited schedule mostly to test and so they weren’t going into next season cold
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby stradlin21 » Fri 29 Aug, 2008 4:23 pm

Pepper wrote:Yes he was.....

He is currently a development driver for Chip Gannasi and did race in the Undy 500. The car was run under a joint venture from Chip G and Rahal Letterman.

He qualified 19th but did not finish after he crashed heavily on the exit from turn 4 and slid backwards at speed down the pit lane!

With Reed Sorenson leaving Chip's NASCAR operation it looks like Wheldon could be put in his place....

That would open the door for Lloyd but there is other options

Jon Brownson has apparently bought an Indycar drive next season but it's not know who with but we know Chip is looking for investment
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby Pepper » Fri 29 Aug, 2008 6:38 pm

Wasn't Wheldon looking for a NASCAR drive a year ago? That could work quite well for Chip....

Pepper

Return to Indycar