Justin Wilson takes his first win!

Discuss Indy Racing League, Champ Car (as was), Formula Atlantic and Super Vee here

Moderator: Pepper

Justin Wilson takes his first win!

Postby Pepper » Mon 01 Sep, 2008 9:53 am

Justin Wilson claimed his first win in the IRL IndyCar Series in Detroit after Helio Castroneves was ordered to relinquish the lead by race control having allegedly blocked the Newman/Haas/Lanigan driver.

Until the controversial late call by the officials, Castroneves looked set to take his third win at the Detroit street course and carve into title rival Scott Dixon's championship lead. With Dixon only finishing fifth, Castroneves has still reduced his deficit, but the title is now Dixon's to lose at Chicagoland next week.

Dixon and Castroneves had stormed away from the field in unison in the opening stages, pulling out a huge lead over the rest of the pack.

But when Dixon's Ganassi teammate Dan Wheldon - who had made a tactical early stop - tangled with Conquest's Jaime Camara and caused a yellow on lap 17, Dixon chose to make his first pit stop while the majority of the field stayed on track.

That dropped Dixon to 18th place, and as the Kiwi made slow progress through the midfielders, Castroneves stormed away from KV's Oriol Servia, Wilson and Andretti Green's Tony Kanaan at the front of the field.

By the time Castroneves made his own first stop under green on lap 30, his advantage was such that he was able to rejoin still ahead of Dixon, whose traffic delays meant that he was back in fifth place once all the front-runners had pitted.

Dixon would remain there for the rest of the afternoon, while Castroneves comfortably pulled away after every yellow and at one stage led by a full 16 seconds.

However when separate incidents for Wheldon and Mario Moraes (Dale Coyne Racing) caused the final caution with 25 laps to go, the pack was able to close back in on Castroneves.

Wilson had passed Servia for second in the pits and he launched an immediate attack on Castroneves when racing resumed. The Brazilian held on to the lead, but his defensive tactics attracted the ire of the race officials, and he was ordered to allow Wilson past. He duly obeyed the instruction, allowing Wilson to sweep ahead on lap 73.

Despite Castroneves' best efforts, Wilson was able to cruise home and clinch his first win since joining N/H/L and moving to the IndyCar Series, with the furious Castroneves having to settle for a close second place - putting him 30 points behind Dixon going into the finale.

They finished comfortably clear of third-placed Kanaan, with Servia holding off Dixon for fourth. Ryan Hunter-Reay (Rahal Letterman) completed the top six.

Pos Driver Team Time
1. Justin Wilson Newman/Haas/Lanigan 87 laps
2. Helio Castroneves Penske + 4.4058
3. Tony Kanaan Andretti Green + 17.6815
4. Oriol Servia KV + 26.5468
5. Scott Dixon Ganassi + 27.7185
6. Ryan Hunter-Reay Rahal Letterman + 28.2688
7. Bruno Junqueira Dale Coyne + 28.6815
8. Will Power KV + 28.8776
9. Ryan Briscoe Penske + 35.5244
10. AJ Foyt IV Vision + 38.1040
11. Hideki Mutoh Andretti Green + 38.3811
12. Darren Manning Foyt + 44.4662
13. Graham Rahal Newman/Haas/Lanigan + 47.8028
14. Ed Carpenter Vision +1:01.2770
15. Mario Moraes Dale Coyne + 1 lap
16. Danica Patrick Andretti Green + 1 lap
17. Vitor Meira Panther + 4 laps
18. Marco Andretti Andretti Green + 6 laps
19. Buddy Rice Dreyer & Reinbold + 11 laps
20. Dan Wheldon Ganassi + 23 laps
21. Tomas Scheckter Luczo Dragon + 31 laps
22. Alex Tagliani Conquest + 33 laps
23. Milka Duno Dreyer & Reinbold + 41 laps
24. EJ Viso HVM + 55 laps
25. Jaime Camara Conquest + 71 laps

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70220

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Re: Justin Wilson takes his first win!

Postby vikki » Mon 01 Sep, 2008 4:12 pm

did you see it peps? i heard the penalty was a bit harsh? old helio thought so surprisingly enough. ;)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70232

still good for justin to get his first win. :clap)
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby The hairy Boots on » Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:20 pm

I saw it and he did indeed block Justin (congrats on the win, probably saved his drive too), though the commentators state that normally a driver blocking gets a warning first of all.

A bit harsh i guess and i'm sure Justin would of preferred not to have first gifted to him. Having said that, if Helium hadn't blocked him, he may of passed him anyway.

Oh and what the hell are the likes of Milka 'Duno what i hell i'm doing' and Marty Roth even doing, turning up to these events and driving 11 seconds off the pace.

Paul Tracy is like Marmite, but he has more driving talent in his left nostril, than these two have combined. Tagliani too. They make the IRL look like a joke and i'm glad officials pulled both out of the race.
:ie:

Don't hate the playa, hate the game...

Save the drama, for your mama...
The hairy Boots on
Podium

Postby AlesiFan » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 11:20 am

Well done to Justin.I haven't watched Indy since Nigel Mansell was lad but good to see Justin making some progress. :clap)
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby Pepper » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 11:40 am

I haven't seen it yet but have it on sky+

I am looking forward to seeing it!

There has been a lot of blocking this season (Danica? :no) ) and the officials made it clear a couple of races ago that there would be no more warnings.

And yes, Tracy and Tag have tons more talent than Roth and Duno. Duno imo should have stuck to sportscars!

Pepper

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 12:57 pm

Highlights on Five tonight of the last two races, as for some reason they couldn't show the infineon highlights last week. :x

03:30 - 04:20 on five
Indy Car Series.
Action from the Indy Car Series race staged at the Infineon Raceway in California.

04:20 - 05:10 on five
Detroit Indy Grand Prix.
Highlights of the Detroit Indy Grand Prix - the inaugural race from the Belle Island Raceway.
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby Pepper » Sat 06 Sep, 2008 11:10 am

Manning was told to move over on lap 42 and allow a pass due to blocking

Helio definitely blocked Justin, but nice driving from Justin on cold tyres to almost force the block

Danica tried blocking 2 cars and ended up damaging her car and Mieras, putting her a lap down. Did she get penalised? Oh no she didn't.

Pepper

Postby The hairy Boots on » Sat 06 Sep, 2008 12:07 pm

Of course she didn't. Incidents are never poor, little angel Danica's fault :roll: :roll: :roll:
:ie:

Don't hate the playa, hate the game...

Save the drama, for your mama...
The hairy Boots on
Podium

Return to Indycar