Racing Legend Enters Indy 500!!

Discuss Indy Racing League, Champ Car (as was), Formula Atlantic and Super Vee here

Moderator: Pepper

Racing Legend Enters Indy 500!!

Postby AlesiFan » Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:13 pm

Wonder how many things can go wrong? >?:PLO

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94731
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Re: Racing Legend Enters Indy 500!!

Postby AlesiFan » Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:16 pm

More From Highly Talented Indy 500 Winner (TBC)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94735
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby Pepper » Fri 23 Sep, 2011 7:58 pm

Excellent news!!!!

Could do with more drivers entering!

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Postby AlesiFan » Fri 11 May, 2012 10:29 am

18 laps completed successfully.Of course things may get a bit more complicated shortly...

He must have felt very old with young Rubens there though.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99485
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby stradlin21 » Wed 16 May, 2012 4:34 pm

It looks like the team is making steady progress towards some decent speeds. Overall, speeds are down this year at Indy but that’s no surprise given that the chassis has not run competitively on an oval yet and in addition there is various issues with the engines (the Lotus in particular)

Alesi is at a huge disadvantage running the Lotus package, Seb Bourdais said that he believed the Lotus engines are down around 20bhp on the Honda’s and Chevys. Bourdais team has since dumped the Lotus and looks to be switching to Chevy although leases haven’t been signed yet.

It would have been good for everyone, rookies and experienced drivers included to have an oval event before the 500. That way, the drivers could get used to have the chassis handled and behaved in traffic. I’m a little uncomfortable turning these guys loose on the 27th May in a huge pack of 33 cars in chassis that haven’t been used in race conditions on an oval before.
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby yeoldetifosi » Wed 16 May, 2012 10:26 pm

stradlin21 wrote:It would have been good for everyone, rookies and experienced drivers included to have an oval event before the 500. That way, the drivers could get used to have the chassis handled and behaved in traffic. I’m a little uncomfortable turning these guys loose on the 27th May in a huge pack of 33 cars in chassis that haven’t been used in race conditions on an oval before.
Hi Stradders! Forgive me being a little out of touch with the US scene these days but do you mean to say these chassis have never raced on an oval - let alone a biggy like Indy or Michigan? Have they been extensively tested by the teams in sort of pre-season tests? It quite honestly beggars belief if the organisation is going this way after Wheldon!
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin.
yeoldetifosi
Elite Mumbler

Postby yeoldetifosi » Wed 16 May, 2012 10:33 pm

Just a thought: A good few years back Alesi drove a great Andros Trophy so might work well in a bit of bustling traffic.

Of course, there is still the "Alesi factor" to be considered: The 50/50 chance that on any given day, your man can turn up and be a bit of a dick.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin.
yeoldetifosi
Elite Mumbler

Postby NewMrMe » Wed 16 May, 2012 11:15 pm

yeoldetifosi wrote:
stradlin21 wrote:It would have been good for everyone, rookies and experienced drivers included to have an oval event before the 500. That way, the drivers could get used to have the chassis handled and behaved in traffic. I’m a little uncomfortable turning these guys loose on the 27th May in a huge pack of 33 cars in chassis that haven’t been used in race conditions on an oval before.
Hi Stradders! Forgive me being a little out of touch with the US scene these days but do you mean to say these chassis have never raced on an oval - let alone a biggy like Indy or Michigan? Have they been extensively tested by the teams in sort of pre-season tests? It quite honestly beggars belief if the organisation is going this way after Wheldon!

Yes, Indy is the first oval of the season and they have only done one oval test.

The problem is the lack of ovals after Vegas highlighted the dangers of high banked or variable banked circuits for Indycars.
NewMrMe

Postby Pepper » Wed 16 May, 2012 11:30 pm

Yot

This is a brand new car to indycar this year. It has been tested and tweaked latter part of last year and has had testing by teams on ovals and roads but has never raced on an oval!

Pepper

Postby yeoldetifosi » Thu 17 May, 2012 9:14 am

Well I suppose there has to be a first time - and Indy was noted in the 40s, 50s and 60s for the number of 1-offs etc.

I'm just surprised - wait, no not "surprised", "appalled" would be better - that such a prominent and gruelling race, attracting so many rookies of one sort or another, is not better founded.
George Carlin.
yeoldetifosi
Elite Mumbler

Postby stradlin21 » Thu 17 May, 2012 9:42 am

I suppose in some ways Indy might not be that bad given that side by side racing for lap after lap doesn’t really happen here.

Texas may be the big test for this new car. There was the first incident of the month yesterday with Newgarden spinning out and brushing the wall, no major damage down though and he continues to be quick. Sarah Fisher Racing showing once again they can get their cars dialled in for the ovals, remember that Ed Carpenter driving for SHR won the last ‘official’ oval event…..
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby AlesiFan » Thu 17 May, 2012 12:39 pm

yeoldetifosi wrote:Just a thought: A good few years back Alesi drove a great Andros Trophy so might work well in a bit of bustling traffic.

Of course, there is still the "Alesi factor" to be considered: The 50/50 chance that on any given day, your man can turn up and be a bit of a dick.

Plus there is the fact he hasn't actually been doing much proper racing for a couple of years.PR jollies for LotusRenaultProtonLadaBenettonToleman don't really count.

Just have to hope the old instincts kick in and he doesn't make a complete Schumacher of himself.
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby yeoldetifosi » Thu 17 May, 2012 2:06 pm

Reminded of Mansell's win at Michigan and the speculation that had gone about fitness, age etc etc.

Chasing him down in the closing laps was the fastest pensioner on earth, SuperMario!....who was fresh as a daisy afterwards whilst Mansell could barely stand.

Hope Alesi has stayed in the gym - reckon he's going to find pains in parts he didn't know he still had.
George Carlin.
yeoldetifosi
Elite Mumbler

Postby plutoman » Fri 18 May, 2012 5:06 pm

Looks like it's going to be a long race for Jean, but at least with his top speed hampered he won't have to go the whole distance.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99644
"I ain't heard that much worth listening to. Just a lot of guys laying down a lot of rules and regulations."
plutoman
World Champion

Postby Pepper » Sun 27 May, 2012 8:20 pm

Wow what a race! Franchitti wins but Sato was going for the lead on the last lap and crashed out!

Sato had a very good race!

Pepper

Next

Return to Indycar