Mac help needed...URGENT !!

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Mac help needed...URGENT !!

Postby Anj x » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 12:08 am

Mac has been locked out following a "expletive" windows update...we must help him.

He clicks the wireless thingy in the corner....and gets the following message:

Server execution failed.

Plus the network and connection window has a big red cross next to the avalable wireless connections.

Tried to run a fix in the form CMD/command prompt as an administrator...but not sure how to ensure the command gets through???

Its Vista Home Premium :hit)
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Re: Mac help needed...URGENT !!

Postby Monza-Misfit » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 7:43 pm

Go into "Manage Wireless Networks" and delete the connection, then setup a new connection and re start the pc, works for us normally ......

If still no joy open the command prompt and type " ipconfig /release" (no quotes)
then "ipconfig /renew" to reset the ip addressing.

if that fails try deleting/uninstalling the wireless adaptor then reinstall it.

Hope that helps.
Monza-Misfit
Winner

Postby Anj x » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 7:47 pm

Cool.....when you command prompt...what is the process though? we can get the black box up and type the command in...how do you ensure the command initializes?
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby Monza-Misfit » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 9:20 am

Thats not so easy to answer, if the command fails it normally says that it is unable to cary it out (normally because of a syntax error)

any command activated thru the command prompt normally results in a confirmation mesage showing on screen below the line you typed. If you use the ipconfig /release command it will show a line saying something similar to "Releasing network adaptor" sorry if this sounds vague, its easier to do than explain.

Meant to say earlier, that you need to leave a space between the end of ipconfig & the /

And use the command prompt shortcut from Start/Accesories which will open the command (DOS) window NOT the run shortcut. (that flashes the code so fast you cant see if its done anything.
Monza-Misfit
Winner

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 9:41 am

Linux anyone? :whistle:
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby Monza-Misfit » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 9:48 am

Wash your mouth Murray ..... you'll be suggesting Snow Leopard next :D
Monza-Misfit
Winner

Postby Anj x » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 11:36 am

Monza-Misfit wrote:Thats not so easy to answer, if the command fails it normally says that it is unable to cary it out (normally because of a syntax error)

any command activated thru the command prompt normally results in a confirmation mesage showing on screen below the line you typed. If you use the ipconfig /release command it will show a line saying something similar to "Releasing network adaptor" sorry if this sounds vague, its easier to do than explain.

Meant to say earlier, that you need to leave a space between the end of ipconfig & the /

And use the command prompt shortcut from Start/Accesories which will open the command (DOS) window NOT the run shortcut. (that flashes the code so fast you cant see if its done anything.

Thanks for that....it is that simple then....we ran a command prompt suggested to us before, it just didn't seem to be right not pressing enter or anything, so thanks for the clarification xx

Will try later, and let you know x
Anj x

Postby Jonesy » Tue 01 Dec, 2009 1:36 pm

Monza-Misfit wrote:Wash your mouth Murray ..... you'll be suggesting Snow Leopard next :D

What a superb idea!

How do I get posted on a MAC with the little apple at the bottom of posts?! :D
Jonesy

Return to PC Clinic