Touch screen smart phone thingers.

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Touch screen smart phone thingers.

Postby Daniel » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 10:48 pm

There's a lot of them on the market right now, Blackberry storm, Sony ericcson Satio, Nokia N97, ...iphone *spit*. Several of you probably have one of some sort.

I've spoken to 2 or 3 people who have them, and they all have gripes with them. Mostly that they fail in their porpose, I.e as a phone, because everytime you put them to your ear the touch screen thinks you are pressing things, and starts opening random things, making noises, or putting it's self on mute... not very handy when you're trying to have a conversation!

So I've put off buying one for a while. But they looks like great gadgets for using all the aps and stuff you can get on them. I quite like the look of the Satio, but I'm still to be convinced about the practicality of the whole touch screen thing.

So my questions are thus, who has one? what model is it? and is it any good? do you have any of the problems with it that I mention?
Purple Zebra Racing - 2007 :1st:, 2008 :L:, 2009 9th, 2010 ???
Daniel

Re: Touch screen smart phone thingers.

Postby Anj x » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 1:50 am

Get a normal phone Dan....Mac has the Blackberry Pearl, its normal but flashy all at the same time, and as far as I know never been a problem. I have some "expletive" little sony, it phones and texts peeps....end of...no problems atall and cheap to run, even on a contract xx
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 8:24 pm

I've heard of the problems with the touch screen when you have it to your ear, a real pain in the butt.

At the moment the only decent touch screens are the dedicated static ones, like the quick checkout in Tesco's. Even they're not up to speed yet as they need someone with a swipe card to confirm you really are old enough to buy the vino. You'd think the wrinkles would give it away ;)
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby Anj x » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 9:36 pm

GOD I hate that thing in Tesco's....it has a printers mind...does what it likes, and for added annoyance talks like Joanna Lumley at a patronising competition.....not a patch however, on the post office jobby wot not... :hit)
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Return to PC Clinic