Laptop battery

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Laptop battery

Postby Kiki » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 11:36 am

Hi all

Where would I get the best deal for a laptop battery? My laptop has to be plugged in constantly now which is a pain, so I think the battery has gone. It is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L20.

Also, how would I change the battery? Would I lose all my files etc while changing it? I can't take it to a shop as I didn't get it from a shop if you know what I mean.

thanks chaps and chapesses.
Ride In Peace Marco Simoncelli, never forgotten
Kiki
Rewritten History

Re: Laptop battery

Postby Murray Walker » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 11:55 am

The laptop battery should unclip and slide out from underneath the laptop somewhere. It may have a seperate cover. Older Toshibas did. It won't lose anything by taking the battery out.

With regards to buying it, check what it looks like and make a note of any part numbers on it and search on ebay using either the laptop, model or the battery part number. The nice people of Hong Kong are happy to send us batteries like these for very low prices.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby Kiki » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks Murray, you are always reliable :D
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby Kiki » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 4:28 pm

Actually, can anyone recommend any good companies to buy batteries off the internet? I don't want to get involved in Ebay.
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby Mac » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 4:47 pm

Kiki wrote:Actually, can anyone recommend any good companies to buy batteries off the internet? I don't want to get involved in Ebay.

try http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp;?N=411+521+1002115&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=toshiba&isRedirect=true

failing that, I'd try Murray's sugestion
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby highlander2 » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 5:36 pm

Kiki wrote:Actually, can anyone recommend any good companies to buy batteries off the internet? I don't want to get involved in Ebay.

Kiki, don't know where to buy, but one hint to save the life of you battery is to take it away from the mains at least once a month and run it down and then recharge it. Maintains the battery memory.

H2
H2 Racing
highlander2
World Champion

Postby Mac » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 7:37 pm

highlander2 wrote:

Kiki, don't know where to buy, but one hint to save the life of you battery is to take it away from the mains at least once a month and run it down and then recharge it. Maintains the battery memory.

H2

True for NiCad and NiMH. LiIon don't suffer from the memory effect as such. depending how old your laptop is. Older more likely to have NiMH or even NiCAD for very old machines. newer laptops use LiIon.

NiCAD can get around 300 charge/discharge cycles if looked after (i.e. run flat-full charge-run flat...n) NiMH about 500 and LiIon 500 to 1000 depending on the exact chemistry used
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby highlander2 » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 9:28 pm

Mac wrote:
highlander2 wrote:

H2

True for NiCad and NiMH. LiIon don't suffer from the memory effect as such. depending how old your laptop is. Older more likely to have NiMH or even NiCAD for very old machines. newer laptops use LiIon.

NiCAD can get around 300 charge/discharge cycles if looked after (i.e. run flat-full charge-run flat...n) NiMH about 500 and LiIon 500 to 1000 depending on the exact chemistry used

Mac, I bow to your greater knowledge

h2
H2 Racing
highlander2
World Champion

Postby Mac » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 9:32 pm

I didnt mean to sound like a know it all "expletive"... though I probably did. :roll:

Just think its usefull to know that with the newer LiIon batterys we are no longer slaves to the full discharge/full charge regime.

but as usual I cant keep it simple and have to go off on one of my super nerd waffel fests :oops:
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby highlander2 » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 9:40 pm

You always sound like a "know it all "expletive"", but mostly it is true. When are you going to learn how to use a keyboard?

H2
H2 Racing
highlander2
World Champion

Postby Mac » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 9:42 pm

:) :) :)

igvup:(
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby Kiki » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks laaaaaaaaaaaaaads. Its a Li-ion battery so hopefully not as temperamental as the others mentioned above.
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby Chilli Burger » Fri 27 Nov, 2009 1:02 pm

I bought some batteries for my camera on the net as they were cheaper than buying from Panasonic. They turned out to be Chinese, when I read the details it didn't actually say they were Panasonic but a quick scan made it look like that.

After two years use the two Panasonic batteries that I have are still giving very good service, the cheap ones allow me to take at least ten photos (on a good warm day) before they expire.

Incidentally it looks like the Panasonic battery pack is put together in China using Japanese batteries.
Chilli Burger
World Champion

Postby Kiki » Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:32 pm

I've just bought a battery from the internet, it will turn up next week I hope. Chilli's post has made me wonder, but the laptop was free so I suppose I shouldn't complain really if it is on its way out and I've bought a dodgy battery :wot) I shall hope for the best!
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby Kiki » Sat 12 Dec, 2009 7:40 pm

Well, thanks to your good advice, mumblers, I bought a battery from those nice people in Hong Kong. It came in good time and SEEMS to be working well so far. Very smug!
Kiki
Rewritten History

Return to PC Clinic