Microsoft Accounting problem - urgent - self assesment delay

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Microsoft Accounting problem - urgent - self assesment delay

Postby Mac » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 8:12 pm

I have Microsoft Accounting to do my book keeping and my PC crashed. I have a back up so i have the data. problem is when i re installed the accounting software after re formatting the c drive, my computer wont read the database as it thinks it's a differant PC.

Being the smart "expletive" that I am I dont have paper copies of my invioces (wanted to be paperless ffs) recipts are ok, I have them in a file, but my clients aren't being very helpfull in teliing me what i billed them the last 12 months.

I'm a bit scared I could get the tax man throwing me into debtors prison, but I think I may be able to submit online up untill January I think?

Anyone got any ideas how I can get my PC to read the database/belive it really is the same PC?
Mac
Senna Fan

Re: Microsoft Accounting problem - urgent - self assesment delay

Postby Monza-Misfit » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 8:29 pm

Had exactly rhe same problem with a clients machine and Microsoft Money, they took a backup of the data off their pc in London, installed MS Money on the machine down here ..... no way could I get it to read the data despite the manual saying that you could do it, When the main pc in London crashed and needed a new HDD they had the same problem, ie. couldnt load the backup data so it seems that its a problem with the software.

Sorry to be unhelpfull, I spent hours trawling thru MS's website and never found an answer .... client now uses Sage!
Monza-Misfit
Winner

Postby Mac » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 9:18 pm

Monza-Misfit wrote:Had exactly rhe same problem with a clients machine and Microsoft Money, they took a backup of the data off their pc in London, installed MS Money on the machine down here ..... no way could I get it to read the data despite the manual saying that you could do it, When the main pc in London crashed and needed a new HDD they had the same problem, ie. couldnt load the backup data so it seems that its a problem with the software.

Sorry to be unhelpfull, I spent hours trawling thru MS's website and never found an answer .... client now uses Sage!

lol, me too :roll:

It's a shame I'm too tight fisted (read skint) to buy Sage :hit)
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby CrazyChick » Sat 07 Nov, 2009 3:48 pm

Monza-Misfit wrote:Had exactly rhe same problem with a clients machine and Microsoft Money, they took a backup of the data off their pc in London, installed MS Money on the machine down here ..... no way could I get it to read the data despite the manual saying that you could do it, When the main pc in London crashed and needed a new HDD they had the same problem, ie. couldnt load the backup data so it seems that its a problem with the software.

MM,
If you change the file extension, then re-install the program, then change the file extension back to what it was would that work... or am i talking nonsense.
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Sat 07 Nov, 2009 11:04 pm

Exactly what error messages are you getting Mac?
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby Mac » Sun 08 Nov, 2009 11:36 am

this was after re-formatting
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Sun 08 Nov, 2009 12:28 pm

Petit Canard in NJ is up early as it's Remembrance Sunday so I've just had a quick chat with him.

He feels your problem could be caused by a SQL Server rights issue and so won't let you connect to what it thinks is a "remote" computer. This assumes you have the Express version of MOA

Try opening a company, or creating a new sample one, on the replacement machine.

Then File -> Manage Users (you may have to dig a bit deeper, depending on the version)

Check the "Application Administrator" box next to your user details

A restart of MOA may be required but then it ought to work.

Possible cause could be as simple as the name you allocated to the pooter after the format being different to its original one
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby Mac » Sat 28 Nov, 2009 11:12 am

famousCrispyDuck wrote:Petit Canard in NJ is up early as it's Remembrance Sunday so I've just had a quick chat with him.

He feels your problem could be caused by a SQL Server rights issue and so won't let you connect to what it thinks is a "remote" computer. This assumes you have the Express version of MOA

Try opening a company, or creating a new sample one, on the replacement machine.

Then File -> Manage Users (you may have to dig a bit deeper, depending on the version)

Check the "Application Administrator" box next to your user details

A restart of MOA may be required but then it ought to work.

Possible cause could be as simple as the name you allocated to the pooter after the format being different to its original one

Nope... :?

Maybe I didn't do it correctly?
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:09 pm

Mac wrote:
Nope... :?

Maybe I didn't do it correctly?

Mm, bugger.

Are you running the Express version?
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby Mac » Sat 28 Nov, 2009 5:13 pm

yes, it's the express version.

Thing is, what you said about changin the PC name is trues... I should have written down what it was caled before I reformatted doitury
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Sat 28 Nov, 2009 5:36 pm

Mac, PM on its way
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Return to PC Clinic