here we go again!

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

here we go again!

Postby Mac » Mon 03 May, 2010 9:15 pm

I've built Anj her new, long awaited website http://www.andreamichelephotography.co.uk/

Wondering if once again you kind peeps would give your honest opionions.. nothing will be viewed as unkind, so please feel free to be as brutal as you like.
Mac
Senna Fan

Re: here we go again!

Postby KG » Mon 03 May, 2010 10:33 pm

wheres mumblings in the links page
crap i tells ya
KG
World Champion

Postby Mac » Mon 03 May, 2010 10:37 pm

:wot)
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby Sculptor » Tue 04 May, 2010 11:55 am

Ok brutal and honest coming up :P

Its a personal thing but I have never been keen on music on websites, it takes a while to load and generally annoying to the point of having to mute it (not yours but in general) and makes it opposite of 'sticky' to me as I cringe a little I have to go back to one for any reason and wait and mute again.

The white background doesn't draw your eye into the pictures, quite the opposite it looks as though something is missing, I would suggest a black one or even black with vignetting towards the images to enhance their artistic essence.

I would suggest the buttons/links were made as more of a feature of the site with a more artistic font and justified to the top or left side of the page as generally the lower part of a web page is for contact and legal bumf etc so it's the last place I would look for the links to the galleries and portfolios.

The images could be twice the size as well, after all the business is photography and when it comes to images the bigger the better. You don't have to make them large in weight so that they take ages to load, just take them into photoshop, make them about 20cm in height and drop the res to 72-100 and when it comes to the jpg quality save at around 100kb per image..All the images on my website are taken in the highest res (12.3megapix) and made smaller in this way so as to keep their quality good.

Hope that helps..
Sculptor
Forum Artist

Postby Anj x » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:01 pm

The size reduction is so you can see them on a smaller screen....on a small laptop the images overlapped on everything else, used 300dpi as standard resolution on images....taken on a 10 or 15 mp camera. Stuck with that, but the rest has been taken onboard...without the music its a bit desolate ?? Do you think an on/off option may help? Thankyou for your honest and valued opinion hun xx
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby Anj x » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:06 pm

oooh....300dpi is print relevant, sorry x

I have passed your comments on to my designer ;)
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby Sculptor » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:11 pm

This is all I am seeing:
And yes 300 dpi is perfect for printing but too high for tinternet so you make the image larger to view but the res lower so that your page loads quick otherwise peeps just move on instead of waiting ;)
Sculptor
Forum Artist

Postby Anj x » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:16 pm

Okay..thanks xxxx

we know where you live you know >>>>>:L

;)
Anj x

Postby Sculptor » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:18 pm

Anj x wrote:The size reduction is so you can see them on a smaller screen....on a small laptop the images overlapped on everything else, used 300dpi as standard resolution on images....taken on a 10 or 15 mp camera. Stuck with that, but the rest has been taken onboard...without the music its a bit desolate ?? Do you think an on/off option may help? Thankyou for your honest and valued opinion hun xx

In photoshop, just go to 'image' > image size > Resolution...You can drop it down to 72 pixels/inch there.

My screen is 22 inches and I am viewing in 1920 - 1080 res, I haven't viewed on a lappy

The music, like I said it's a personal thing really, you either love it or hate it, I am the latter, I wouldn't bother with an on/off button though ;)
Sculptor
Forum Artist

Postby Anj x » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:23 pm

Dont use photoshop xx
Anj x

Postby Sculptor » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:25 pm

Then you certainly should if photography is yer thang, it's a wicked tool..
Sculptor
Forum Artist

Postby Anj x » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:26 pm

I use a camera ;)
Anj x

Postby Mac » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:29 pm

I agree with the black background ;)

The images where shot at 15.1Mpx and are loaded for PC screen res at 96dpi, are 600px X 428px so would show up o the smallest netbook screens. Originally we had them set at 770 x 550 and Anj was having to hide toolbars to view them on her 15" laptop screen.

I suppose they could be made to dynamically zom to the screen res, but I don't know how to code that... guess I'll have to learn :shock:

I take on board you comment about the navigation, just not sure if that would fit the design brief ;)

Music wise, I agree too, I don't like sites with music. I have to say though watching Anj's slideshow without it gets quite dull, whereas I feel the music holds my attention and I quickly forget that the slideshow is over 8 minuets long :shock:

I found the music a little wierd to begin with but now I find it compelling and am totally in love with it... just like a certain artist's work I know ;)
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby Anj x » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:30 pm

dull? .....I know where you live too !! :shake:
Anj x

Postby Mac » Tue 04 May, 2010 2:34 pm

Sculptor wrote:My screen is 22 inches

Mine's bigger than yours :P

a WHOPPING 30" ;)

just arrived this afternoon
Mac
Senna Fan

Next

Return to PC Clinic