IE8 slow to load web pages

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

IE8 slow to load web pages

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 10:31 am

For quite some time I've suffered an intermittent page loading issue with IE8, which is really frustrating and a bit like watching paint dry.

I use TalkTalk and assumed it was a latency issue with them as my download speeds remained high at all times, although I must say they have been a pretty good provider overall.

Switching preferred and alternate DNS Servers to Google on 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 made no difference whatsoever and trying Chrome and Firefox only showed a 40% improvement, which sort of convinced me that the problem was with TalkTalk with IE8 having it's two-pennyworth in the background.

After a hell of a lot of Googling, where most of the suggestions offered were quite predictable and useless, I came across Ed Bott's Windows Expertise site. Although he was initially very skeptical about the suggested fix, and can still offer no real explanation as to why it should work, I thought I'd give it a go as it's non-damaging.

Basically it's just a case of re-registering a DLL and it works for me. Average page load times are now well under a second, where they used to hover between eight and ten seconds.

If any Mumblers have the same issue it's worth a try -

Run "cmd" as Admin and at the command line prompt enter "regsvr32 actxprxy.dll", without the quotes and hit return.

Reboot and bingo.
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Return to PC Clinic