Family tree programs

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Family tree programs

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 12:51 pm

Does anyone have any experience of a (free) family tree software they would recommend,

want to put ancestors into a family tree...
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Re: Family tree programs

Postby Mac » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 2:45 pm

:shock:

You don't wan't to be messing around looking for ancestors, It will just end in tears.

My mum did my fathers family tree and reackons I'm related to the folks who own the 32,000 acre Muncaster estate.

Ever since I've been eagrly awiting the death of 54,327 Penningtons :wot)
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 3:02 pm

Someone else has gathered all the information already, just want to turn it into a family tree to better understand my ancestors...
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby Pepper » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 5:49 pm

I have tried a couple but with out much luck - and they are mac programs.

I take it you are talking about programs to draw a tree and not to investigate, like ancestry or genes?

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Postby CrazyChick » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:13 pm

Pepper wrote:I have tried a couple but with out much luck - and they are mac programs.

I take it you are talking about programs to draw a tree and not to investigate, like ancestry or genes?

Yes, Just to draw a family tree (on a pc) to better understand my ancestors, not to investigate my ancestry or anything...
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:41 pm

CrazyChick wrote:Does anyone have any experience of a (free) family tree software they would recommend,

want to put ancestors into a family tree...

There's a lot of "whistle and bells" stuff out there that, IMO, doesn't really cut the mustard.

I've used the Mormon Church (Later Day Saints) free software for years and it's rock solid and easy to use.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default ... ration.asp

Their search site is also excellent, although some of the restrictions on search criteria strike me as a little odd

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

It's rare to find a late record here, and there aren't many recorded deaths either. However the marriages and births/Christenings can be an excellent source. A few points on accuracy though-

1 For some reason a lot of the transcribers seem to have found a marriage and then assumed that the groom was 25 at the time and his bride was 21. Unless you see an exact birth/Christening date it's best to ignore it.

2 Don't always accept that the Christening took place soon after birth. Generally it did, until the late 1800's, because of the high mortality rate but a percentage (and they were generally men) were Christened as adults to allow them to marry in church.

3 If you get really bitten and get back to 1752 you'll need to watch for the switch from Julian to Gregorian calendars.

As for the sites I'm only aware of 1 free one of any worth

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

It's good for looking up births, marriages and deaths from 1837, although the mother's maiden name only came in on the records late in 1911. The registers only give you a district, year and quarter (plus a register and page number) but it's very useful. If you want to buy certificates order through the GRO as all the other sites have to use them and just add a chunk onto the fee

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... /index.htm

Now for the tricky bit as you'll need to subscribe to get access to all the other really good records.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/

is best for the Census records from 1841 to 1901, plus a lot of other handy stuff

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/home.jsp

for the 1911 Census plus quite a lot of military records (ideal for WWI stuff, although a lot was destroyed in a German bombing raid in WWII)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/home/default.aspx

handy for making contacts and possibly getting hold of a lot of your family history that an unknown relative has worked up

Lastly the slowest, but often the most valuable, source will be your local Family History Centre (Later Day Saints again) or research centre at your County Hall. If your family has always been fairly local (as they tend only to keep records for their county) they should keep Parish Records, Parish Chests, Tithe Returns and other goodies on microfilm. Hours of fun.

If your family was from another county you can usually order films in to your local Family History Centre for viewing.

The Parish Records are fascinating, although it pays to work backwards through them. Then you get into the swing of the gradual changes in language and it becomes reasonably easy to translate the Vicar's dog Latin of 1680.

One last valuable source, and worth comparing against the Parish Records, are the Bishop's and Archbishop's Transcripts. In theory these should be the same as the Parish Records, as the local Vicar was obliged to submit regular reports to his bosses. However, human nature being what it is, they are often easier to read and can contain information not in the Parish Record itself. They say this is down to trying to impress the boss and remembering the Christening that got jotted down on a scrap of paper but not entered into the Parish Record.

In Kent most transcripts are held at Canterbury Cathedral, as are a lot of old wills, but that could well vary from county to county.

Happy hunting and feel free to PM if you need any more info, or any Census lookups before you subscribe.
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby CrazyChick » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks FCD, that should keep me busy for a while...

just out of interest, if i want to share the family tree i create of my ancestors can i export the family tree to pdf to email family or upload the GEDCOM file somewhere and get a document that i can attach to an email..?
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 1:39 pm

CrazyChick wrote:Thanks FCD, that should keep me busy for a while...

just out of interest, if i want to share the family tree i create of my ancestors can i export the family tree to pdf to email family or upload the GEDCOM file somewhere and get a document that i can attach to an email..?

You can export your tree in PAF format, for other users of the LDS software, or in GEDCOM that can be imported into any family tree software. If you join Genes Reunited you can upload your tree to the site, and only share it with invited peeps if you want. From memory the GEDCOM export has to use the ANSI character set for the GR site. The same applies to Ancestry, although that site will also accept UTF-8 GEDCOMs.

Printing trees is always a problem if you've got lots of generations but the LDS software does have a handy option in the "Print" routine. You can select "Books" and then either "Ancestry" or "Descendancy" and it will work everything out based on the person you have in your selection box. It allows you to "print to file" and the output is in "rtf" so you can easily distribute your book, complete with a comprehensive index. Pedigrees and other options can also be saved in the same format.

Most people find that the difficult bit in the tree is filling in the 20th century stuff, as records are generally quite restricted, and I guess we've all thought "I wish I'd started this when I was a lot younger" (sorry CC - no idea of your age group ;) )

Grab your grandparents, and great grand parents if you're that lucky, and talk through their recollections while you can.
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby Murray Walker » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 2:20 pm

famousCrispyDuck wrote:
Grab your grandparents, and great grand parents if you're that lucky, and talk through their recollections while you can.

Something I wish I had done while they were alive :hit)
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby CrazyChick » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks FCD

the part i currently want to put in a family tree have long since died, lived 1600 - 1900 ish but may do other parts of the family in a family tree if i catch the bug..
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 2:55 pm

CrazyChick wrote:Thanks FCD

the part i currently want to put in a family tree have long since died, lived 1600 - 1900 ish but may do other parts of the family in a family tree if i catch the bug..

That's fantastic if you've already got details going back to the 1600's as I've been stuck at 1619 for ages. It probably means you won't get any new shocks either, because a lot of people seem to give up when they discover that great great great grandmother never got married.

I'd be rather surprised if the bug doesn't bite you, and it's amazing what you can trawl up about people who lived that long ago. Even the smallest detail really brings them back to life.

Best of luck CC, and happy hunting
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby Pepper » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 5:32 pm

I am trying to investigate a part of my family from Northern Island. Got as far as 1911 census but am now stuck.

Do the above sites cover Northern Island?

Also, anyone have any idea on Port Sunlight, what they offer on information?

Pepper

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 7:05 pm

Pepper wrote:I am trying to investigate a part of my family from Northern Island. Got as far as 1911 census but am now stuck.

Do the above sites cover Northern Island?

Also, anyone have any idea on Port Sunlight, what they offer on information?

I've got a feeling that 1901 for Ireland is being transcribed by volunteers, but I fear that earlier stuff is quite difficult.

Subscribing to Genes Reunited resulted in a contact from a member related to a relative of mine by marriage. She originated from the wonderfully named Cowpastures, Monasterevin, Kildare and the GR member sent details going back to the 1830's, which I think they'd obtained from local church records.

Maybe Murray's your man on this one ;)
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby Pepper » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 8:35 am

Oh that's a good idea.....

Pepper

Postby Murray Walker » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 9:08 am

The 1911 census for Ireland is available online. I can find a link if you like.

It is difficult prior to that as I believe the 1911 census is the earliest that exists in complete form. Parts of the 1901 census are missing and there is very little official material earlier than that as all records were ruined when many government buildings in Dublin were burnt down in the period 1919 - 1922. Also remember that most couldn't read or write and the early census forms have many variations of name spelling, place names etc as they were filled out by RIC officers who were rarely local and often English and not being familiar with the area or the common names, wrote down exactly what they heard when they asked someone their name and address. My own address has at least three spellings, two of which are still used.

If you have any idea of the area and religion, church records and tombstones would be the best bet I think.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Next

Return to PC Clinic