Moving a domain name to my own server...Help needed please x

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Moving a domain name to my own server...Help needed please x

Postby Anj x » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 1:51 pm

Okay...need to move a domain name that was bought on 123-reg to our own host. 123 do their own hosting but we wanted to move it on to our own server, not something 123 reg are that forthcoming in telling you how to do...the server is Apache on a Linux OS. There are places you can go to to find out but they are full of techno babble. simple terms please xx
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Re: Moving a domain name to my own server...Help needed please x

Postby Frozen_pea » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 4:18 pm

If you have the server set up as a web sever, then it will be a case of going a full back up from 123 reg (usually a .tar file) which you can unzip and it has all your site.
As long as the coding on the site is done correctly then it will work fine on the new server.
Just upload it to your server (unfortunately I'm not familiar at setting up your own webserver) then try you site through the IP address (I'm assuming you have a static IP). make sure the site works, then you need to change the DNS records, do this through the control panel on 123reg and point the domain name to your server. DNS changes can take a while, between 24 hours and 7 days depending on the TTL (Time To Live) on the domain name.

Leave both sites running until you are sure the new one is working completely.

If I know anyone with hosting on 123 reg I'll ask them to have a look about getting a full site back up.
Sorry it's sketchy, been a while since I've done anything like this, am a bit rusty.

If you need to know anything specific then just reply here, e-mail, pm, text or phone me.
Frozen_pea
Admin

Return to PC Clinic