Green stripe on video content

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Green stripe on video content

Postby CrazyChick » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 4:56 pm

ever since i downloaded a Adobe flash player update earlier this week, any video content (on youtube / bbc) i view i get a green stipe across the middle of the screen,

screen split in two (horizontally), like when playing in 2 player mode on a games console. both split screens have same image, but image squished to half height (but still full lenght).

To solve this:
do i uninstall / re-install adobe flash player and hope that it is adobe that is causing the problem, (can't be 100% certain!)

something else!
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Re: Green stripe on video content

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:21 pm

Are you playing the video content "full screen" to get the effect or does it still happen in "part screen" mode but effect the video and the background? In other words in "part screen" mode is the background OK and the video section split or is the entire screen split in two?
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby CrazyChick » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:00 am

it happens in part screen and full screen (usually watch videos on part screen, but tested it on full screen once with the same effect.

Its like watching the same image at the top of the screen and at the bottom of the screen, but because their is two images/videos in the screen, images are squished to half height... with a green stipe across the middle.

an image is much better than anything i could write, so image of a bbc clip...

photobucket playing up, can't crop image... !
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 10:34 am

That looks as if the latest Flash Player has issues, not for the first time either.

I'd try updating the video card driver first and if that doesn't cure it then uninstall Flash using the Adobe uninstaller

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then get an archived version of Flash from here

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

and reinstall

Good old Adobe, nearly always up there in the top three trouble makers.
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby CrazyChick » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:38 am

I'd suspected it was adobe, just wanted someone with a bit more technical knowledge of computers to confirm it,

how does one go about updating the video card ?
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 6:01 pm

CrazyChick wrote:I'd suspected it was adobe, just wanted someone with a bit more technical knowledge of computers to confirm it,

how does one go about updating the video card ?

Control panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Display Adaptors

Right click on the correct adaptor (if you happen to show more than one) -> Update Driver Software (or Properties if you don't see this option, and click the "Driver" tab then "Update Driver" button)

Select the "Search Automatically" option so that your system trawls the net for a newer driver.

Should that fail the "Driver" tab mentioned above will give you your current driver details then go to the graphics card manufacturers website to see if there's a newer one.
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 28 Feb, 2011 12:29 am

Updating the video card driver appears to have solved the problem,

deselecting 'Enable hardware Acceleration' did work temporarily, on some video clips but not all...
CrazyChick
Admin

Return to PC Clinic