Windows Live Mail

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Windows Live Mail

Postby CrazyChick » Thu 28 Apr, 2011 3:28 pm

Installed a new Hard drive on home computer (Windows XP), so downloaded 2009 version of Windows Live Mail to handle email accounts.

either since program was installed or while i was fiddling about on various settings, when you open an email message in inbox/sent/junk etc in Windows live mail it is always maximized (fills up the whole screen) can't find any way to have emails open up minimized.

[with a previous version of WML on old hard drive emails always opened the size of last opened email]

looked online and can't find a solution..!
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Re: Windows Live Mail

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Thu 28 Apr, 2011 6:10 pm

Is it just the email message itself that's running full screen or WLM as a program?

Not a WLM user but if it's the latter try checking the WLM icon on the desktop to make sure "Run" is set to "Normal window" and not "Maximized"
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby CrazyChick » Fri 29 Apr, 2011 3:28 pm

famousCrispyDuck wrote:Not a WLM user but if it's the latter try checking the WLM icon on the desktop to make sure "Run" is set to "Normal window" and not "Maximized"

checked this already, set to Normal window.

Is it just the email message itself that's running full screen or WLM as a program?

the WLM program itself is full screen when open, but that is not a problem, when you click on an email message from the inbox folder (or any other folder) to open it, it always opens maximised.
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Fri 29 Apr, 2011 6:34 pm

Well it seems to work just like other email programs, as I grabbed a copy to try it (just out of interest)

I set up a dummy account and then looked at a sent message that was stuck in the "outbox", and certainly on the 2011 version it's just like Outlook.

If you select "Restore down" on the WLM page (middle option, top right between - and x) then close the app and reopen it it should open just as you closed it.

You can then do exactly the same for an email by opening one up -> Restore down -> Close

and it will open up as you left it.

It works independently for the app and the email so you can run both full screen, both part screen or a combination.

The same applies if you reset the size of either the program or an email by dragging the edges in and then quitting.

Works for me so hopefully it will for you.
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Postby CrazyChick » Sat 30 Apr, 2011 3:26 pm

famousCrispyDuck wrote:You can then do exactly the same for an email by opening one up -> Restore down -> Close

and it will open up as you left it.

I've been doing this to all emails i've opened but it still opens 'full screen' [previous version on old hard drive, this was true, but not on WLM 2009 (XP edition) ]

just opened an email, and couldn't drag it from the bottom of the email, as it was hidden by the taskbar --> unlocked taskbar and un-checked 'keep the taskbar on top of other windows' --> this solved the problem, but i like the taskbar at the bottom of the page!

reverted back to 'keep the taskbar on top of other windows' and emails open full screen...

any way to keep the task bar on top and have emails open part screen?
CrazyChick
Admin

Return to PC Clinic