Laptop keyboard has died

If you have any problems with your PC, Laptop or Mac or would like some advice on software, the internet, downloading or anything related, just post your query here.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Laptop keyboard has died

Postby Anj x » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 3:52 pm

Okay...was working last night, sold to a good friend today and they have just texted me to say the keyboard doesnt work !! The touch pad does though. Tech friend says thats it, I have to pay to replace the keyboard but, I have a slight hope that all I have done is disabled something whilst removing programs before giving to my friend. As far as I am aware, I didnt remove anything vital to the function of the laptop.

Specs: Compaq presario 500 series laptop, Vista edition but installed with a windows 7 upgrade. Everything functioning apart from the keyboard.

Anyone?

I have consulted several techy forums out there, and my tech friend (who will make money from this) says that you cannot disable a keyboard and i need to replace it.
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Re: Laptop keyboard has died

Postby Murray Walker » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 4:23 pm

It does sound as if the keyboard is fubar, although it is very unusual for it to die overnight. I have always found that a few keys at a time go first rather than total failure.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby Anj x » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 4:26 pm

I am convinced I have delated some software/firmware/hardware driver that is vital to the keyboard communicating.
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby Murray Walker » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 4:28 pm

I can't think what, but there again, my windows knowledge is routed in in Win95/98/ME as I have changed to Linux.

Does it work with an external keyboard?
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby Anj x » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 4:39 pm

not sure...need a usb keyboard and I wont have the laptop back until Tuesday now.
Anj x

Postby famousCrispyDuck » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 10:34 am

If you've ruled out Farley's Rusks with warm milk sticking the keys together you could try the following Anjx -

Do any keyboard lights come on when it's booting (if the Presario actually has any lights)?

Can you get into the BIOS on Startup?

If the answer is yes then I'd guess that, somehow, you managed to remove the keyboard driver from the OS, although that's not the sort of thing you'd ever expect from just removing software.

If the answer is no then either the keyboard has just gone belly-up at the worst possible time or perhaps a ribbon cable has become detached in transit.
-L'esprit de l'escalier-
famousCrispyDuck
World Champion

Return to PC Clinic