Ron Dennis - A gift to Formula 1

Do you want to post a tribute about your favourite retired drivers, perhaps you want to discuss the rantings of the MIT (men in tweed). They thought they were safer when they retired, perhaps not mumblers!! How about a tribute to those that are not drivers but still in the game?

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Postby St. Mackem of Kansas » Sun 31 Dec, 2006 8:28 pm

vikki wrote:
St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:
quite good

Like saying Everest is a bit high, or the North Pole a bit chilly

but no titles in the 21st century and it is getting on a bit now.....

oh yes its all of six years old!
F1 Formula 1 IRL Champ Cars
St. Mackem of Kansas
World Champion

Postby Fiorano » Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:32 pm

vikki wrote:
St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:He is a master at what he does, and being an amiable media person is not what he does.

i will admit he is quite good at running a gp team.
and i always think it is admirable he trys to get two top line drivers for his team unlike some others we wont mention.
even when like jpm it doesnt quite work.
but he still winds me up when hes winning even though williams is at the other end of the grid these days!
at least we presume so.else nando is going to very cross.

he had jpm and kimi for 2 seasons and prost and senna for 2 seasons but other than that your assertion dosen't work. David Coulthard was never hakkinens or Raikonnens equal for the whole 10 seasons he was there. In the rest of sennas time there he was partnered with Berger and Michael Andretti....they were top line?

part of me likes ron for his ronspeak and sheer grimness....I guess you need a dour grey presence in formula one but he still winds me up.
Fiorano
World Champion

Postby Daniel » Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:59 pm

My favourite Ron moment was seeing him cry on live TV after Kimi won in Suzuka

It was hilariuos just for the sheer surealness of it! :lol:
Daniel

Postby John » Mon 01 Jan, 2007 12:14 am

St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:Image

happy new year John

Once again St,Mackem you choose cheap insult rather than debate....:cry:..... shame

Happy New Year to You all the same...... :roll:
John
Rewritten History

Postby St. Mackem of Kansas » Mon 01 Jan, 2007 3:57 am

ohhhhhhhh John you so know I am playing you at your own game!
F1 Formula 1 IRL Champ Cars
St. Mackem of Kansas
World Champion

Postby AlesiFan » Mon 01 Jan, 2007 9:39 am

Fiorano wrote:he had jpm and kimi for 2 seasons and prost and senna for 2 seasons but other than that your assertion dosen't work. David Coulthard was never hakkinens or Raikonnens equal for the whole 10 seasons he was there. In the rest of sennas time there he was partnered with Berger and Michael Andretti....they were top line?

In 1989 Prost was leaving,Senna was already there and Mansell was under contract at Ferrari (and you would never have him in one of your cars anyway ha-ha).Old Ron chose the best driver he could in my view.And I think people's perception of Gerhard was different before he took on Senna than after it.

And I think Ron honestly believed Crazy Dave could win the World Title.Despite the evidence to the contrary that grew every season.
Mind you there are people out there who think Jenson can do it too. :wink:
As for Michael Andretti that was an experiment that didnt quite work.
But poor old Ron - people take the piss out of him for being too conservative then when he takes a chance they take the piss too. :lol:
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby AlesiFan » Mon 01 Jan, 2007 9:45 am

daniel_kelly wrote:My favourite Ron moment was seeing him cry on live TV after Kimi won in Suzuka

It was hilariuos just for the sheer surealness of it! :lol:

My favourite Ron moment was probably when JPM threw it in the gravel trap yards away from taking pole at Hockenheim in 2005.
The expression on Rons's face was priceless. :lol:

It just summed up the daftness of JPM as a Mclaren driver as well.
And at one point Ron wanted to sign Alesi.
That would have went well...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby Daniel » Mon 01 Jan, 2007 4:23 pm

Lol tell me about it.

A control freak like Ron with a wild card like Montoya? what could possible go wrong?! I think Alonso will be a much better fit.
Daniel

Postby LadySnowcat » Mon 01 Jan, 2007 7:36 pm

And to think Ron boasted that he was good with the excitable Latino fraternity............

Pride Ronald........comes before................
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Re: Ron Dennis - A gift to Formula 1

Postby safcfan89 » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 5:45 pm

St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:Ron Dennis

"Ronspeak"

"Ronspeak" is the term coined for the style of speech used by McLaren team boss Ron Dennis in Formula One racing. It has become a well-used phrase in the F1 paddock to describe sentences which consist of unneeded complexity and often unfathomable words. Dennis is renowned for his excessively businesslike and cautious answers to tough questions from F1 journalists. It started circa 1980, when sponsorship started to play a more prominent role in the sport, and has become well-known in the motor-racing community to the extent that is has been given a term which bears his name.

Did you wiki this? That last paragraph sounds very familiar, I know who wrote it.
Sunderland Till I Die
safcfan89
Podium

Postby Petra L'ead » Sat 27 Jan, 2007 5:48 pm

St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:
quite good

Like saying Everest is a bit high, or the North Pole a bit chilly

Well, Everest is a bit on the high side and I believe that the North Pole can get a bit chilly in the winter.

I have never "liked" Ron; he has an almost total lack of charisma, but his achievements speak for themselves. So it is totally unnecessary for me to add the next paragraph.

He is one of the most successful team manager that F1 has ever known, and even though his team have suffered ups and downs over the years, McLaren remain buoyant, healthy and have a very bright future.

I think that Ron Dennis and McLaren are a bit like Alex Ferguson and Manchester United. You either love them or you hate them. But in either case you know that standards are higher because they are there. Even if it rather sticks in one's craw to say so :)

So, yeah, Ron Dennis is quite good at managing his team.
Petra L'ead
World Champion

Previous

Return to Mumbling Tributes