Damon Hill-The racing gentleman

Do you want to post a tribute about your favourite retired drivers, perhaps you want to discuss the rantings of the MIT (men in tweed). They thought they were safer when they retired, perhaps not mumblers!! How about a tribute to those that are not drivers but still in the game?

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Postby stradlin21 » Wed 03 Jan, 2007 11:19 pm

John wrote:
Caite wrote:... fanatics who can't bear anyone to disagree with them as regards their favourite driver. There are lots of those types around. :roll:

Oh that could be me if the mood takes me... :oops:

but most days I try and keep it real... 8)

I mean see what stradli21 posted... seen it heard it all before and he knows what my response would be... so I don't need to post it. :roll:

what, you know the truth??

good lad
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby John » Wed 03 Jan, 2007 11:23 pm

I aim to please..........

{aside}

In 10 mins on MotorsTV is a profile of Sebastian Bourdais called '1, 2, 3 Bourdais'
John
Rewritten History

Postby John » Wed 03 Jan, 2007 11:58 pm

Just finished........... he only looks 18years old...

Interesting at the end he said he would be racing in Le Mans 2007 but would not say with who...

and IIRC Peugeot are putting a big show about racing their Diesel racer this year... (2+2 = ?)
John
Rewritten History

Postby stradlin21 » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 12:09 am

John wrote:Just finished........... he only looks 18years old...

Interesting at the end he said he would be racing in Le Mans 2007 but would not say with who...

and IIRC Peugeot are putting a big show about racing their Diesel racer this year... (2+2 = ?)

he was watching a DVD of himself winning the 06 championship :(

interesting though when he talked about Tracy landing on his head
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby Fiorano » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:34 pm

stradlin21 wrote:Damon is vastly underrated

he totally broke Schumacher mentally in 94 with his amazing performances in the 2nd half of the season, even causing the German to fall off the road in Adalaide and resort to cowardly cheating tactics to beat Hill

Of course, with the inferior car, he couldn't match Schumi in 95

it was great to see Damon take the title in 96 and then win the Belgium GP in 98

a true gentlemen racer, certainly!

broke schumacher mentally? are you kidding me? Damon caught every break going from stewards and the FIA from the british grand prix onwards to make the championship battle closer.

If it hadn't been for outside intervention schumacher would have easily won the 94 championship. The only "amazing" performance by damon was in the wet at suzuka.

and inferior car in 95? Again you must be kidding, Schumacher was just a better driver and if anyone "broke" it was damon at the british grand prix spearing into schumachers car. Things like that always seem to be forgotten by the anti's (not that I'm in the pro camp either)

Now I'm gonna take my fingers out of the marmite jar and acknowledge that Damon was a nice bloke and a good racer who got into the best team and took a championship when he got the opportunity.
Fiorano
World Champion

Postby St. Mackem of Kansas » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:42 pm

I fear that we are using the tributes to knock what people are writing. I think that we all should respect that this section is about how the author feels about a certain driver and should be respected as such.
F1 Formula 1 IRL Champ Cars
St. Mackem of Kansas
World Champion

Postby craggle78 » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:45 pm

Damon Hill is slightly under-rated IMO.

First of all to score 3 wins in his first real season in F1 and also NEVER looked that bad against a 3 times WDC who was his team-mate, thats is pretty good.

1994 was a freak year in respects to F.I.A involvement, but the Benneton team didn't help with all the dodgy doings..........At the end of the day Damon got the Williams back into a position to challange for the title with some GREAT drives. A certain German driver and his more than slightly dodgy integrity only robbed him at the last moment of what would have been his first WDC as we all know!(The better driver won the championship don't get me wrong, just a real shame on the manner of victory!)

1995 was pretty average, Coulthard and Hill made hard work of which should have been a MUCH more successful year for Williams.

1996 was out-standing at times, yes JV got close in his debut year, but Damon had the bottle (eventually) when it came to the crunch.

1997 Hungary, need I say more, not many racers could have got the arrows in contention of any race victory possibility...........

1998 Jordans first ever victory and well done to him, who cares if Ralfie got told to stay behind!

22 wins in 122 races is a GREAT ratio no matter what car Damon was racing. I like Damon as a person (well how he comes across on TV!) and I liked Damon as a racer, a WDC with integrity and honour and I think he does deserve his place in the tribut section.
www.motorsportmumblings.com
the independant motorsport forum
craggle78
Winner

Postby Fiorano » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:49 pm

St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:I fear that we are using the tributes to knock what people are writing. I think that we all should respect that this section is about how the author feels about a certain driver and should be respected as such.

Fair enough and that should be made clear then because if people start slinging marmite around they should expect to find some being slung back at em
Fiorano
World Champion

Postby St. Mackem of Kansas » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 7:51 pm

I pm'ed Tifoso about the marmite potential, he's looking into some way of dealing with it.

I suggested deleting ALL the replies and locking them at the 1st thread.
St. Mackem of Kansas
World Champion

Postby Fiorano » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 8:03 pm

St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:I pm'ed Tifoso about the marmite potential, he's looking into some way of dealing with it.

I suggested deleting ALL the replies and locking them at the 1st thread.

dunno about locking but in this section people should be on their best behaviour. If you can't say anything good say nothing type of thing then theres less chances of marmite infections.
Fiorano
World Champion

Postby St. Mackem of Kansas » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 8:21 pm

I agree, I also suggested a sticky saying just that.

Something along the lines of "Marmite WILL be deleted".

I am sure tifo will do what he thinks best.
St. Mackem of Kansas
World Champion

Previous

Return to Mumbling Tributes