Nerdy statistic of the day

Want to know who was the Champion in 1976?
Well its not here yet but tell us if you know. Post the stats you know and want to share here.

Moderator: Wacky

Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby plutoman » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 2:27 pm

IF either Raikkonen or Schumacher drives for Mercedes, and IF Jacques Villeneuve makes a comeback, then we will have five world champions on the grid at the start of 2010. The only time this has happened for a whole season was in 1970 (Jack Brabham, Graham Hill, John Surtees, Denny Hulme, Jackie Stewart). Other than that its only happened twice - South Africa 1968 (Brabham, Hill, Clark, Surtees, Hulme) and Australia 1985 (Lauda, Jones, Piquet, Rosberg, Prost).
"I ain't heard that much worth listening to. Just a lot of guys laying down a lot of rules and regulations."
plutoman
World Champion
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Just beyond Neptune

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby CrazyChick » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 5:10 pm

Their have been 4 past WDC's on the grid as recently as 1999 iirc (schumi, Hill, Villeneuve and Hakkinen)
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
User avatar
CrazyChick
Admin
 
Posts: 11392
Joined: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: JB: "Playing with my steering wheel"

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby Kop Alonso » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 5:29 pm

plutoman wrote:IF either Raikkonen or Schumacher drives for Mercedes, and IF Jacques Villeneuve makes a comeback, then we will have five world champions on the grid at the start of 2010. The only time this has happened for a whole season was in 1970 (Jack Brabham, Graham Hill, John Surtees, Denny Hulme, Jackie Stewart). Other than that its only happened twice - South Africa 1968 (Brabham, Hill, Clark, Surtees, Hulme) and Australia 1985 (Lauda, Jones, Piquet, Rosberg, Prost).


Make that 3 times , the 1985 Italian GP had the 5 champs above in the race (you could have also had the 1985 South African GP however Jones failed to start despite setting a time that would have made him 18th on he grid )

:-x
Image
User avatar
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Pink Panther Country

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby Anj x » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 5:35 pm

Take cover.....its a nerd off 8)
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x
Moderator
 
Posts: 8542
Joined: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:51 am

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby Kop Alonso » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 5:38 pm

Coming from you I suppose thats the nearest I will get to a compliment ...

;)
Image
User avatar
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Pink Panther Country

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby plutoman » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 6:02 pm

Kop Alonso wrote:
plutoman wrote:IF either Raikkonen or Schumacher drives for Mercedes, and IF Jacques Villeneuve makes a comeback, then we will have five world champions on the grid at the start of 2010. The only time this has happened for a whole season was in 1970 (Jack Brabham, Graham Hill, John Surtees, Denny Hulme, Jackie Stewart). Other than that its only happened twice - South Africa 1968 (Brabham, Hill, Clark, Surtees, Hulme) and Australia 1985 (Lauda, Jones, Piquet, Rosberg, Prost).


Make that 3 times , the 1985 Italian GP had the 5 champs above in the race (you could have also had the 1985 South African GP however Jones failed to start despite setting a time that would have made him 18th on he grid )

:-x


Ah but ... Prost wasn't yet champion at Monza (and I didn't count South Africa due to Jones non-starting).
"I ain't heard that much worth listening to. Just a lot of guys laying down a lot of rules and regulations."
plutoman
World Champion
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Just beyond Neptune

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby Anj x » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 6:12 pm

Kop Alonso wrote:Coming from you I suppose thats the nearest I will get to a compliment ...

;)



LOL...I live with Mac...nerd appreciation is mandatory ;)
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x
Moderator
 
Posts: 8542
Joined: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:51 am

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby plutoman » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 6:25 pm

Just out-nerded myself. Stewart became champion at Monza in 1969, so the Canadian and US GPs of that year also count (not Mexico though as Hill was injured).
"I ain't heard that much worth listening to. Just a lot of guys laying down a lot of rules and regulations."
plutoman
World Champion
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Just beyond Neptune

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby LadySnowcat » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 7:50 pm

CrazyChick wrote:Their have been 4 past WDC's on the grid as recently as 1999 iirc (schumi, Hill, Villeneuve and Hakkinen)


Or Abu Dhabi this year....
Lady Snowcat
User avatar
LadySnowcat
Moderator
 
Posts: 13176
Joined: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: England

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby vikki » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 12:06 pm

i suspect we will only have three in 2010. :cry:
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler
 
Posts: 10299
Joined: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 5:54 pm

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby plutoman » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 6:35 pm

Another nerdy stat:

Should Heidfeld get the second Mercedes seat, the world championship winning team will start the season without a race-winning driver. The last time this happened was in 1974 at Tyrrell. Ironically, Tyrrell was eventually bought out by BAR, which became Honda, then Brawn and now Mercedes.
"I ain't heard that much worth listening to. Just a lot of guys laying down a lot of rules and regulations."
plutoman
World Champion
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Just beyond Neptune

Re: Nerdy statistic of the day

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 1:01 pm

From Adam Cooper:
Anorak dept: One rear tyre was used by both Sutil AND Liuzzi yesterday. Wonder when a tyre last ran on two cars in a GP? Not only that but Adrian and Tonio both briefly ran with three of one compound and one of the other!
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
User avatar
CrazyChick
Admin
 
Posts: 11392
Joined: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: JB: "Playing with my steering wheel"


Return to Formula One Facts, Figures and Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron