Drayson signs Le Mans legend

Not just old Minis beating up a track, this is serious competition, anything you have to say about club racing please take the stand and let us know.

Moderator: The dogs

Drayson signs Le Mans legend

Postby The dogs » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 2:08 pm

Drayson Racing has signed sportscar racing legend Emanuele Pirro to race its #8 Lola-Judd coupé at three major endurance races in 2010.

The Italian, a five-time winner of the Le Mans 24 Hours, will join Drayson owner-driver Paul Drayson and regular co-driver Jonny Cocker in the programme's LMP1 entry at the Sebring 12 Hours and Petit Le Mans as well as returning to La Sarthe in search of a sixth outright success. He will assist the team as this week's scheduled test session.

"It's just brilliant news, and I am really excited about this," Drayson commented, "I met Emanuele during the 2008 ALMS championship and we got on really well from the start, particularly when swapping flying stories, so I am just delighted to be racing with him this year.

"He is such a world class talent and such a nice guy - pre-race driver briefings were never the same without Emanuele! Most of all, though, his huge experience and positive personality will lift the whole expectation and performance of the team, especially during the big three races of the year at Sebring, Le Mans and Petit."

Pirro spent three seasons in F1 before making the full-time move to sports and touring cars in 1992, joining the crack Audi squad two years later. With the German marque, he won five championships, including two American Le Mans Series titles, to go with his 24 Hours success, and will be returning to central France for the 13th time in June. He also has two Sebring victories in ten starts and three Petit Le Mans P1 class wins in a similar number of appearance, and has achieved an unprecedented nine consecutive Le Mans podiums, including a top step appearance as part of the first squad to take overall victory with a diesel-powered entry.

http://www.crash.net/le+mans/news/15691 ... egend.html

This will certainly help them move up the grid.
The dogs

Re: Drayson signs Le Mans legend

Postby vikki » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:55 pm

always good to see the likes of pirro still competing.means i can't be that old. :whistle:
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Return to Other Racing and "The Dogs" Sports Car Section