Campaign against HID headlights

Got a road bike or car? Well done, welcome to high society, chat amongst friends and others with horseless carriages or proper road bikes, not bees in biscuit tins. We also have Top Gear here. The new home for road car or bike stuff.

Moderator: Frozen_pea

Campaign against HID headlights

Postby Murray Walker » Wed 11 May, 2011 9:43 am

A row is developing among car enthusiasts and road users about the potential risks of super-bright headlights.

The headlamps - called HIDs and commonly referred to as bi-xenon - are much brighter than traditional headlights and are sold as a safety feature. But some road-users claim they are often dazzled by the lights, making pedestrians and cyclists difficult to see....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13143206

I have to agree with this. I have real problems being dazzled by these things and hate driving at night as a result.

Why are they needed anyway? The standard h4 halogen bulb has always shown me all I need to see and I haven't driven into anything at night in about 15 years of driving.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Re: Campaign against HID headlights

Postby AlesiFan » Wed 11 May, 2011 5:25 pm

Murray Walker wrote:Why are they needed anyway? The standard h4 halogen bulb has always shown me all I need to see and I haven't driven into anything at night in about 15 years of driving.

I think the main purpose seems to be to highlight the fact you can afford an Audi. >?:PLO
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Re: Campaign against HID headlights

Postby Pepper » Fri 13 May, 2011 9:09 pm

Murray Walker wrote:
I have to agree with this. I have real problems being dazzled by these things and hate driving at night as a result.

Why are they needed anyway? The standard h4 halogen bulb has always shown me all I need to see and I haven't driven into anything at night in about 15 years of driving.

Agreed!

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Return to Road Bikes and Road Cars