Kimi signs for Citroen

Sebastian Loebe, them Finns, an Australian that keeps crashing, driving in snow and on the edge of cliffs at hundreds of miles an hour, if thats not mad enough for you or is then discuss it here!!

Moderators: RedPoole, The dogs

Kimi signs for Citroen

Postby Kop Alonso » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 9:26 am

For the Citroen Junior team

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80431

Citroen has announced that Kimi Raikkonen will join its World Rally Championship line-up in a Red Bull-backed Citroen Junior Team car, as predicted by AUTOSPORT.

The 2007 Formula 1 world champion will be joined in the Red Bull Citroen squad by former Junior WRC champion Sebastien Ogier, who completed an impressive WRC rookie season with the squad last year.

Raikkonen made his top flight rallying debut in an S2000 Abarth at his home round of the WRC in Finland earlier this year, earning the respect of the series regulars for the speed with which he adapted to driving on the stages. He has hinted for many years that he was keen to pursue a career in rallying after F1, and when he announced last month that he would take a sabbatical following the breakdown of his talks with McLaren, the WRC was seen as his most likely destination.

"I always wanted to compete in rally, especially in the World Rally Championship at some point in my career," said Raikkonen.

"Thanks to Red Bull, I have the opportunity to drive the best car of the series with the Citroen C4. This is a new but very exciting challenge."

Speculation has suggested that Raikkonen could return to F1 with Red Bull after his first WRC season. He confirmed that his Citroen deal only covered 2010 at present.

"For the moment we have a one-year contract and we will see how it goes for the future," Raikkonen said. "I am really looking forward to testing the car and taking the start of the first rally."

Citroen team boss Olivier Quesnel said he was delighted by Red Bull's increased involvement, and that the squad had such a strong Junior line-up in Raikkonen and Ogier alongside factory drivers Sebastien Loeb and Dani Sordo.

"Red Bull's commitment and energy are a perfect fit for Citroen's ongoing thirst for victory," Quesnel said. "We will continue to count on Sébastien and Dani to defend our world titles in 2010, and we will also be prolonging our association with Sebastien Ogier who showed outstanding potential this year.

"Last but not least, it is with immense joy that we welcome Kimi Raikkonen to our ranks. We are very proud that he has chosen Citroen.

"In addition to the confirmation of these four crews, we will hopefully be able to announce other programmes over the coming weeks."

Raikkonen and Ogier will contest 12 of next year's 13 WRC rounds, but will skip the New Zealand event.

:xsanta:
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler

Re: Kimi signs for Citroen

Postby Frozen_pea » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 1:48 pm

Interesting, I wonder if he'll look to get to the full works team for 2011 or be getting close ties with Red Bull for an entry back into F1?
Frozen_pea
Admin

Postby Kop Alonso » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 1:52 pm

I would be surprised if he went back to F1 ......

Why just do the WRC for 1 year , there is no point ....

>?:PLO
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler

Postby LadySnowcat » Sat 05 Dec, 2009 10:27 pm

The point is that it will be fun...

It keeps the prospect of a drive with Red Bull open for 2011... I'd love Kimi to get back with Adrian...

And this will be amazingly good for WRC too...
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Kop Alonso » Sat 05 Dec, 2009 10:37 pm

No it will not be amazingly good for the WRC if Kimi did one season then trashed a few cars then went back to F1...

IMHO he will not be back in F1, if he did want to be in F1 he would still be there...

He needs to view WRC as his new career...
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler

Postby LadySnowcat » Sat 05 Dec, 2009 10:40 pm

I don't actually think Kimi thinks in terms of a career, as he hardly needs one..... but he does look for a challenge...

I'd like him back in F1, and I know I am not alone, but if he has fun in WRC we won't see him back....
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby kitten » Mon 14 Dec, 2009 9:15 pm

LadySnowcat wrote:I'd like him back in F1, and I know I am not alone

no you're not alone Lady S, I would love to see Kimi return to F1, let him play with the rally cars for a year, he will be back!!
kitten
Podium

Postby Kop Alonso » Mon 14 Dec, 2009 9:46 pm

What makes you say "he will be back " ?

There were deals on offer, but his heart was perhaps elsewhere .....

Either that or he is a greedy lazy "expletive" ..?

>?:PLO
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler

Postby Anj x » Mon 14 Dec, 2009 11:11 pm

Surely rallying requires your "expletive" further out of the window than F1 ?....I am an ardent F1 fan through and through but rally drivers are f*cking nutters !! not some fancy 'ooh my paddle shift gears are a bit of a strain on my thumbs' racing driver....Cat is right, but wrong at the same time as Kimi is a buzz junkie and he will get that from rallying more than F1, which he has done for years...time for a new challenge...Kitten is therefore wrong (sorry hun) IMO...see above, why go back to buzzing round a track 75 times when you can rip it round a forest/mountains/roads etc against the clock?...Kop...you are wrong too...mainly because it has amused me to point that out, I have no foundation to base that one on...I don't think >?:PLO
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby Kop Alonso » Mon 14 Dec, 2009 11:35 pm

So that means I'm right ....

;)
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler

Postby Mac » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 12:47 am

I realy, realy, realy, realy, realy, NEEEEEEED to go rallying :nod:
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby LadySnowcat » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 9:55 pm

Mac wrote:I realy, realy, realy, realy, realy, NEEEEEEED to go rallying

I don't disagree Mac but from your perspective I don't think Jense has any plans to go rallying...
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Mac » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 10:01 pm

sory Cat... thats a tad cryptic for me...explain please

Hope your well btw
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby LadySnowcat » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 10:04 pm

I am fine and looking forward to rallying but every time I see something on F1 it feels a bit empty to be honest....

I hope you are well too.... despite the official Button Worshipper title...
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Mac » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 10:17 pm

lol, Anj explained it to me. I dont meen watching rallying... I want to do it.. really realy realy want to do it.

I know waht you mean about F1 being empty... felt like that for years for me after Senna

i supose because of my love of all things technical, i had something to keep my interest.

Hakkinen, then Hamilton and now vettal have given me a little bit of what i missed back,.... but there will never be another Senna, though I will be rooting for Bruno, I get a hunch he will not be in uncle Ayrton's mould
Mac
Senna Fan

Next

Return to Rallying