Swedish Rally... and virgins...

Sebastian Loebe, them Finns, an Australian that keeps crashing, driving in snow and on the edge of cliffs at hundreds of miles an hour, if thats not mad enough for you or is then discuss it here!!

Moderators: RedPoole, The dogs

Swedish Rally... and virgins...

Postby LadySnowcat » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 7:09 pm

I am getting very very excited because in a few days I will be setting off for my very first rallying experience and I can't wait...

The fact that a certain Finn is happier than I have seen him in many a season has cheered me no end and I am truly finding it difficult to care about whether Ferrari has too much white or if the Renault looks like a wasp, let alone if Jenson is already looking like Lewis's bag carrier....

Just found this vid from the WRC launch...

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/8171/ ... -raikkonen

Doesn't he seem relaxed and cheerful...

I have been buying up the contents of my local skiing emporium to be sure that the coldest Swedish rally for years finds me as toasty warm as possible... whether in the middle of the day or tres early in the morning or late into the evening...

Did you know it is warmer to stand on tree branches rather than the snow?... I hadn't thought of this until I was given this tip...

All I can say is that the rally drivers are made of considerably tougher stuff than the F1 crowd... on some days they are set to leave Parc Ferme at 5.30 and not get back until 20.40!!... having covered just under 600 kms including 7 special stages of about 125 kms in the snow and on tight twisting roads....

During the day they have 1 hour 30 mins in Service and another 45mins regrouping....

And that's just one day of three!!....

I bet all you guys are only too aware of this but it was only when I started looking at the logistics and maps of the whole affair that I realised how tough it is...

I can see this year will be a huge education....

The official site is here http://www.rallysweden.com/wrc/en/ just in case you are interested....

and on the wrc site you can access live timing etc from this page http://wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=401&se ... rally_id=S

and the radio from here ... http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=250

I'm glad I 'm taking a friend with me to carry the champers... not to mention the hot chocolate and marshmallows!.....
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Re: Swedish Rally... and virgins...

Postby Kop Alonso » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 8:12 pm

So whats your itinery then Cat ...... & how are you getting from stage to stage are you hiring a car for exmple ...

When I used to watch rallying I used to try to watch every other stage (if you were lucky)as if you watch the whole field go thro it can take a good couple of hours ....then you have to walk thro the forest to get to your car , queue to get out & then drive to the next stage ...etc

TBH I think the modern day rally (made for tv with lots of day day time stages ) is kids stuff compared to 20 years ago...
The old RAC used to be over 5 days with no pace notes, lots of night stages & around 2200 miles.....& the old safari rally even the road sections between the stages were like a rally in itself ...

The only downside you will have only a wee glimpse of Kimi when the blasts past .....however you make be lucky to get a good view of activities at the service area ...

Good luck & have a fab time , can we have some pics please ...?

:P
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler

Postby LadySnowcat » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi there KA...

I head out on Tuesday and get back on Monday.....

I have someone who has been before driving me round ... they have spec'd the various stages and have a plan for where we need to be....

We also have an "in" to the Service Park as we can have a quick borrow of some passes I understand, although not for the Junior Citroen team unfortunately.... but I shall linger slightly there...

If I can actually get my hands out of my pockets I will try to take photos, although my friends tend to suggest that looking at those I take you'd be forgiven for thinking that there was only one driver taking part..... (and I am pretty rubbish at the photos thing!)....
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Anj x » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 8:49 pm

ooohh...enjoy, will look out for you on the telly ;)
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby Mac » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 11:06 pm

I fookin' love rallying :nod: . For whatever reason we are always busy when it's been coverd on Dave :-(

I've not done many live events, Isle of Mull, RAC, and a few minor events.

Have to agree that compared with F1 drivers, the Rally boys have a harder time of it... but tougher?

Well if lazy boy Finn can do it, it can't be that tough for the 'fair handed' F1 drivers can it?

I look forward to you covering the events on MSM for us Cat, keeping us up to date with everything WRC. Do try to remeber if you can though that we may well be interested in a bit more than Finn's and Citrones ;) Afterall, variety is the spice of life is it not?

Have Fun! :D
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby highlander2 » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 5:02 pm

Cat,

Enjoy,
while rallying is a long day, the time of full concentration per stage is much shorter than a GP. SS's only last a max of normally 25 minutes, but agree a lot more difficult than a racetrack.
Long gone are the days when eg. the rally of GB really was throughout GB and days could be over 24 hours long, with minimal breaks for 4 days. Today most SS's are repeated with normally 8 per day. So the driver is only driving for maybe 3-4 hours a day, the co-driver will drive between stages.

As I said enjoy, having driven through Sweden twice in the last 6 weeks, there was lots of snow about.

Hopefully Kimi will keep it on the road and place well.

H2
H2 Racing
highlander2
World Champion

Postby Kop Alonso » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:17 pm

I am looking forward to see how Ken Block gets on later in he year....

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=10 ... ee%20years

Here is geting some practice in , God I love MkII 's

His 2011 car looks nice too !

Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler

Postby LadySnowcat » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:24 pm

Mac wrote: For whatever reason we are always busy when it's been coverd on Dave

It's on Dave on Sunday and Motors TV Friday, Saturday and Sunday....

Have to agree that compared with F1 drivers, the Rally boys have a harder time of it... but tougher?

Well if lazy boy Finn can do it, it can't be that tough for the 'fair handed' F1 drivers can it?

I guess you had your fingers crossed there Mac... and you shouldn't be rude about Hirvonen... he almost beat Loeb last year...

I look forward to you covering the events on MSM for us Cat, keeping us up to date with everything WRC.

I'll try...

Do try to remeber if you can though that we may well be interested in a bit more than Finn's and Citrones

Loeb is French... will he do as an extra?...
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby LadySnowcat » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:26 pm

Kop Alonso wrote:I am looking forward to see how Ken Block gets on later in he year....

He's from the US of A isn't he KA?...

Some of the forums see this as great for getting the Yanks into WRC... what do you think?...
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Mac » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:33 pm

LadySnowcat wrote:
Mac wrote:Have to agree that compared with F1 drivers, the Rally boys have a harder time of it... but tougher?

I guess you had your fingers crossed there Mac... and you shouldn't be rude about Hirvonen... he almost beat Loeb last year...

I look forward to you covering the events on MSM for us Cat, keeping us up to date with everything WRC.

I'll try...

LOL, touche
Mac
Senna Fan

Postby Kop Alonso » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 10:00 pm

LadySnowcat wrote:
Kop Alonso wrote:I am looking forward to see how Ken Block gets on later in he year....

He's from the US of A isn't he KA?...

Some of the forums see this as great for getting the Yanks into WRC... what do you think?...

The more the merrier IMHO

Ken Block certainly is from the States (he founded DC Shoes ) & along with Travis Pastrana they are in part responsible for rallying & extreme driving stunts to be big on the net. The main catalyst in introducing rallying to a wider audience was Colin Mcrae with his rally games & he then took part in the x games ...before that a lot of "gamers" did not know Colin was a real person

Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler

Postby Kiki » Sun 14 Feb, 2010 9:05 pm

Really enjoyed watching this on Dave just now. Kimi was so jolly, wasn't he? Very nice to him like that :D Interesting he said rallying was harder and more interesting that F1 :lol)
Ride In Peace Marco Simoncelli, never forgotten
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby LadySnowcat » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 7:25 pm

I am back and defrosted...

Sweden is beautiful.... and a tad chilly...

I did wonder if I was mad as I stood in a wood in the dark, early in the morning, waiting for the Kimster... especially when one of the charming marshalls told me it was minus 23⁰C and my friend's hair popping out between the hat and the scarf was actually frosted... but then the locals were lovely people who were happy to let me have a space by their fire so that was OK....

I loved the frozen lakes that had snow like a thick and even layer of icing....

The service area didn't quite compare to the paddock garages and I did have a little smile at the idea of Ron Dennis going rallying....

You could hear the cars coming from miles away and then got covered in snow as they flew (often literally) past... and as you travelled around you'd suddenly be overtaken by a rally driver going between stages.... somehow you seemed more a part of it than in F1 and the rally guys were more part of the real world...

It was exciting to be standing with them coming towards you at max attack and then squirming on the track as they braked to make the corner... some with more drift and rear end than others...

In the stages I saw Mikko, Marcus and Petter were especially flamboyant... I expected Jari-Matti to be more so but he was under orders to be careful...

Kimi was fast and neat and Seb was neat too... and obviously faster...

And Dani jumped out of the car a lot to take off tape, trees and bits of car... but that was just where I saw him....

And yes... I am going again....
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Kiki » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 8:22 pm

Well you are very brave Snowy. I've always said I'd never watch a rally too close in case one of the cars came flying through the air towards me. My friends are shocked that I have gone on the back of a motorbike more times than I can count, but my bravery stops there! Hats off to Snowy.

Its a shame you weren't nearby when Kimi drove into the snow bank. You could have gone to help him, your eyes would meet through the frosty air, and... I'd better write another story, even though I haven't finished the last yet!
Ride In Peace Marco Simoncelli, never forgotten
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby Phoenix » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 9:00 pm

Despite the evangelical overtones I still can't see any attraction to standing in a forest in the cold waiting for a car to pass me every so often. I'm happy to stick with my boring and predictable F1
Phoenix
Podium

Next

Return to Rallying