Recommend A Film Thread

Want to discuss the lastest film release or maybe discuss your favourite TV show. Come mumble amongst friends!

Moderators: Daniel, RedPoole

Re: Recommend A Film Thread

Postby RedPoole » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 11:32 am

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Apparently there is also a book by the same name :whistle:

Having just read the book I was quite keen to see how good the film was, its still worth seeing. This is the Swedish version of the film so needs to be watched with subtitles unless you want the dubbed English over the top :stop) Apparently there is a 'Hollywood' version lurking out there but probably worth avoiding.

One suggestion would be to read the second book in the trilogy before seeing this film as there are a few spoliers that have been added which will lessen the impact of book 2.
RedPoole
Admin

Postby Anj x » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 12:58 pm

kick - ass....get the popcorn on, take your brain out and enjoy xx really liked it xx
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby Stoozie » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 5:46 pm

RedPoole wrote:The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Apparently there is also a book by the same name :whistle:

They're great books. All three were released as films swiftly one after the other last year in Scandanavia. we're getting them at a slow rate in the UK. Each time I've been over to Norway I've checked out the DVDs in vain hope that they've released an English-subtitled version. They've now released extended versions of the 3 films as box sets. As with most Scandanavian films they only have Norwegian, Swedish, Danish subtitles and purposely leave English out of it to protect sales as they release worldwide, I assume. Over here we've only just got the 2nd book in the cinema and I bet that the third will be another 6 to 9 months away, really boring to wait so long...

The Hollywood version will apparently have Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomquist. The Sallander role was uncast until recently. I'd only just been talking about how long they seemed to have been searching when the news broke on a local Norwegian website, but I can't remember the name of the actress, but she was chosen because she was quite unknown. The film company that did the Swedish version is Yellowbird, who also have the rights to the Wallander books. They seem very protective of the books and hopefully wont let Hollywood destroy the content. I'd prefer it if they left the story in Sweden rather than translate it to the US. The BBC left Wallander in Sweden when they did they did the Kenneth Branagh versions and it wouldn't have destroyed the feel if they had converted it to the UK. However, Hollywood probably won't feel the need to be as faithful...
Stoozie
Rewritten History

Postby RedPoole » Wed 15 Sep, 2010 8:39 pm

Itching to start the 3rd book at the moment but havin to finish another book im half way through.

I was joking to the other half when we watched the swedish version that the Hollywood version would probably have Tom Hanks at Blomkvist, Daniel Craig is not much better tbh. Still, Im happy with subtitles so can avoid the US versions and stick to the originals.
RedPoole
Admin

Postby AlesiFan » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:46 pm

Stoozie wrote:The Sallander role was uncast until recently. I'd only just been talking about how long they seemed to have been searching when the news broke on a local Norwegian website, but I can't remember the name of the actress, but she was chosen because she was quite unknown. The film company that did the Swedish version is Yellowbird, who also have the rights to the Wallander books. They seem very protective of the books and hopefully wont let Hollywood destroy the content. I'd prefer it if they left the story in Sweden rather than translate it to the US. The BBC left Wallander in Sweden when they did they did the Kenneth Branagh versions and it wouldn't have destroyed the feel if they had converted it to the UK. However, Hollywood probably won't feel the need to be as faithful...

Rooney Mara.She was in the recent remake of Nightmare on Elm Street.Obviously I didn't watch it someone told me. :P

I was going to say I can't see Hollywood shifting the books form Sweden as that would be a disaster however...
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby RedPoole » Wed 15 Dec, 2010 10:40 pm

The new Harry Potter film was good, cant wait for the final part.
RedPoole
Admin

Postby Anj x » Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:46 am

RedPoole wrote:The new Harry Potter film was good, cant wait for the final part.

Went with my daughter to see it - was awesome and what to see the next part right now !! She's off to see it with friends again on Monday x
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby H_O_O_K_W_O_O_D™ » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 2:42 pm

The Fighter - krap
Inception - Krap
Deja Vu - Wicked

If anyone disagrees with me, you're wrong, so shut it.
Mass immigration was the way that the Labour Government was going to make the UK truly multicultural and rub the Right's nose in diversity and render their arguments out of date. Mr Neather defended the policy, saying mass immigration has 'enriched' Britain and made London a more attractive and cosmopolitan place.
H_O_O_K_W_O_O_D™
World Champion WUM

Postby KG » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 7:35 pm

watched 127 Hours
I have to admit, its really rather good
KG
World Champion

Postby RedPoole » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 7:23 pm

Get Him To The Greek - This is the funniest film I have seen in ages, Russel Brand is brilliant, so is the tubby fella from Superbad :D Remember, when life hands you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.
RedPoole
Admin

Postby Frozen_pea » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 1:06 pm

H_O_O_K_W_O_O_D™ wrote:Inception - Krap

If anyone disagrees with me, you're wrong, so shut it.

I think you must have spent too much time taking your legendary, record breaking craps or fapping over the McLaren MP4/13 and missed a lot of the film?

Anj x wrote:Shutter Island, Loved it....still thinking about it two days after seeing it.

Watched this at the weekend (as it's now showing on Sky, yes I am cheap :P) and really enjoyed it.
If you've not seen it, don't read:
Spoiler! :
Did guess the ending as a mate who recommended it told me there was a twist at the end which was kind of annoying
Frozen_pea
Admin

Postby RedPoole » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 8:29 pm

Not a film to reccomend but a series, has anyone else seen The Walking Dead, just watched the first series and loved it. Its about a policeman ( english chap from This Life and Teachers ) who gets shot and wakes up in hospital amongst the 'walking dead' ( ok, bit 28 days laters to start with ) He sets out to find is wife and son, plenty of gore and hacking up zombies along the way. Catch it soon as season 2 starts on FX in mid October!
RedPoole
Admin

Postby Pepper » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:21 pm

Why is a 40 yr old male into chick flicks? watching "The Holiday" again! love it!

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

Postby NewMrMe » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 8:35 pm

I saw The Cabin In The Woods this afternoon.

One of the cleverest, most entertaining and original films I have seen in ages. More of a very dark comedy than a horror in my opinion, though it is very gory in places, I am suprised it gets away with a 15 certificate. There has been some fuss that the trailer reveals a plot twist, but after seeing the film I was suprised at how little is actually given away.

It also has suprising levels of depth and it does raise some interesting questions.
NewMrMe

Postby AlesiFan » Thu 19 Apr, 2012 1:04 pm

H_O_O_K_W_O_O_D™ wrote:Inception - Krap

I saw this one just quite recently and remarkably have to agree with Hooky. :shock: :shock: :shock:

A film so pleased with its own cleverness it forgot to create characters anyone gives a toss about. A film so smugly impressed by its own visuals it created dream sequences that looked nothing like dreams anyone had ever had (unless you dream logically of course maybe some people do). In the end I just sat through the (never ending) action sequences just hoping they all would die and I could do something more interesting.Like Listening to Ron CBE talk about gravel.

It might have made an average Twilight zone episode. But as a 2 hour plus! film? God no.Great pity too - I I have enjoyed all Christopher Nolan's other films so far.But thought this one was bollox.Even worse dull bollox.
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

PreviousNext

Return to TV and MovieMumblings