Recommend a film.... TO MISS!!!!

Want to discuss the lastest film release or maybe discuss your favourite TV show. Come mumble amongst friends!

Moderators: Daniel, RedPoole

Re: Recommend a film.... TO MISS!!!!

Postby Frozen_pea » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 12:52 am

This one has divided opinions, Paranormal Activity.

I found it utterly pointless. A rip off of the Blair Witch Project, but based entirely in a house. no substance, weak plot, crap acting.
Managed to see the original ending, not the 2009 re-release, read both endings and the 2006 is slightly better but in fairness, I felt robbed, albeit I didn't pay for the film, it robbed me of my time, not only watching the film but in downloading it, and robbed me of my bandwidth at the same time.
Frozen_pea
Admin

Postby genji » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 5:36 am

Do not watch The Lovely Bones, not under any circumstances. Peter Jackson and his harem cannot adapt novels. At all.

The book is pretty flawed as it is, what with possession and icicles and whatnot, but structurally it was taut and intense with a shockingly painful beginning that, like the characters, you spend the rest of the novel recovering from.

Jackson managed to turn it into nothing and you spend the rest of his movie not really recovering from anything, except his astonishing opinion that it's okay to get raped and murdered because you get to go and live in chocolate heaven afterwards. :knob:
genji
Winner

Postby RedPoole » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 11:18 am

[quote="genji"]Peter Jackson and his harem cannot adapt novels. At all.[quote]

As a massive fan of the Lord of The Rings Films I will have to disagree strongly with that.

However he did a crap job with King Kong, sitting through that was as bad as the flight back from Australia and the Bahrain grand prix. Agree with you on Avatar, i loved it.

Be interesting to see how he does with the Tintin movies.
RedPoole
Admin

Postby genji » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 11:26 am

RedPoole wrote:As a massive fan of the Lord of The Rings Films I will have to disagree strongly with that.

Most people do. doitury

Actually, I'm a big fan myself. They were cracking movies, even if I intensely disliked most of what he changed from the books and why he made the changes. After watching The Lovely Bones, IMO I'd have to say that, in retrospect, the LotR movies were great in spite of the writers, not because of them.

Also - FP - Paranormal Activity... yeah. I find it difficult to get into horror movies at the best of times but that was pretty stretched out and dull. Cheap, though. Very cheap. That has to be a plus.
genji
Winner

Postby vikki » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 11:16 pm

mightyhawk wrote:AVATAR - this film is utter crap....

Dancing with smurfs in space...

good value for money though, lasted four weeks and i managed to look like a "expletive" in headache inducing 1950s sunglasses..

JC should be banned from making movies

mark kermode annoys me intensely but his take on the 3d experience did make me giggle. :lol)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/ ... ained.html
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby Anj x » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 12:08 am

I think after producing an adaptation as immense and beautiful as the LOTR as bloody well as he did then yes Peter Jackson is well and truly adapted out - everything since has been complete kak - like Copolla after the 2 Godfather films, anything he made afterwards was just rubbish.

I am also pleased to report that I still havnt been to see Camerons animation masterbation and I am still alive xx
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x

Postby vikki » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 10:55 am

Anj x wrote:I think after producing an adaptation as immense and beautiful as the LOTR as bloody well as he did then yes Peter Jackson is well and truly adapted out - everything since has been complete kak - like Copolla after the 2 Godfather films, anything he made afterwards was just rubbish.

have i complained about his king kong remake in this thread?

about 6 hours too long and utterly pointless

i have now. 8)
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby genji » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 11:12 am

I've got Heavenly Creatures, but I've yet to watch it. Apparently that's his good movie.

Anj x wrote:I think after producing an adaptation as immense and beautiful as the LOTR...

"Immense" and "beautiful" are quite apposite descriptions. Given the landscape, the costumes and props, the music, the actors and the special effects, it couldn't really fail. They didn't do an appalling job with the adaptation of LotR and given how dense the book is I was forgiving of the approach they took. The Lovely Bones is not a dense book and they still managed to trivialise it. I look back at LotR now and realise they did exactly the same thing. Their LotR just had a lot more going for it.

Anyway, I've had my say and veered quite off-topic enough.

One of the most depressing films I've ever watched is The Brave (Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando).

One of the most boring I've ever sat through, Seven Years In Tibet.

One of the most pointless (even though I really enjoyed it while I was watching it): The Hurt Locker.
genji
Winner

Postby RedPoole » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 8:00 pm

vikki wrote:
Anj x wrote:I think after producing an adaptation as immense and beautiful as the LOTR as bloody well as he did then yes Peter Jackson is well and truly adapted out - everything since has been complete kak - like Copolla after the 2 Godfather films, anything he made afterwards was just rubbish.

have i complained about his king kong remake in this thread?

about 6 hours too long and utterly pointless

i have now. 8)

Dont worry Vikki, i beat you to it a few posts ago :D
RedPoole
Admin

Postby RedPoole » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 8:06 pm

I listened to Mark Kermondes film review yesterday and did enjoy his rant on 3d, have to say i agree with him, I havent actually seen a film in 3d as i saw avatar in 2d, but the sudden need to make almost every film 3d is just a way of charging more money for the cinemas and distributers to cash in and aso the studios as people will be more likely to go to the cinema than wait for dvd.

At least after yesterday i no longer want to see Clash of the Titans
RedPoole
Admin

Postby genji » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 9:39 pm

RedPoole wrote:I listened to Mark Kermondes film review yesterday and did enjoy his rant on 3d, have to say i agree with him, I havent actually seen a film in 3d as i saw avatar in 2d, but the sudden need to make almost every film 3d is just a way of charging more money for the cinemas and distributers to cash in and aso the studios as people will be more likely to go to the cinema than wait for dvd.

At least after yesterday i no longer want to see Clash of the Titans

We watched Avatar in 3D. I wished we hadn't.

Apart from being £50 for three of us including a bottle of water each and some popcorn, 3D has not pinned down background motion at all. 3D is great in Disney World for a 20mins sneeze/snake movie but it has no place in the cinema. It can only ever focus on the centre of the image and everything in the background looks warped and false. Its colours are appallingly washed out, too.

Don't go to watch any film in 3D unless you're partially blind.
genji
Winner

Postby vikki » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:30 pm

the a team

some of my friends enjoyed this one but i didn't. ;-)

liam neeson is totally miscast and can't do comedy,the bloke playing murdock is o.k. but starts to get irritating, the bloke playing face starts very irritating and sadly doesn't die horribly at any stage (sorry spoiler alert)

i wasn't expecting anything too deep form a remake of the a team but am still disappointed!
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby genji » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 9:55 pm

Why did you go to watch The A Team?
genji
Winner

Postby vikki » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 9:56 pm

some of my friends kids wanted to see it.as it was the young people weren't that impressed - and the old people certainly weren't. :lol)
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby Pepper » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 10:12 pm

The Avengers.

It was on watch last night, recorded it as down pub "celebrating" (getting pissed) and watched it this morning.

Only stuck with it as i had a horrendous hangover but what a turkey!

http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm

Simply the best motorsport forum there is.
Pepper

PreviousNext

Return to TV and MovieMumblings