Andrea de Cesaris killed in motorcycle accident

General discussion on any motorsport related topic

Moderator: Murray Walker

Andrea de Cesaris killed in motorcycle accident

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 8:50 am

Sorry to hear this :(

Sunday proved to be one of the darkest days in Formula One for years as Andrea de Cesaris, the former driver of more than 200 grand prix, was killed in a motorcycle accident in the wake of Jules Bianchi’s life-threatening crash in the Japanese Grand Prix.

De Cesaris, who drove in the sport from 1980 to 1994, racing for teams including McLaren, Ligier, Minardi, Jordan, Tyrrell and Sauber, died in his native Rome aged 55 on Sunday.

The Italian was originally famous for being extremely crash-prone in his early years, and for competing in the most races without a win, but de Cesaris matured into a consistent midfield performer...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/11142713/Formula-1-driver-Andrea-de-Cesaris-killed-in-motorcycle-accident.html
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Re: Andrea de Cesaris killed in motorcycle accident

Postby plutoman » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 10:16 am

Very sorry to hear about this. I always had a bit of a soft spot for Andrea, as he was the driver doing most of the winning in F3 when I first started reading Autosport every week. Always fast, but notoriously accident-prone, he did nevertheless deserve to win the '83 Belgian GP before his Alfa let him down (again). When I was a teenager, I went to Silverstone for the British GP, and after the open friendliness shown by both Ken Tyrrell and Riccardo Patrese, I was disappointed when De Cesaris marched past us with his Marlboro entourage. That changed when he saw us waving our programmes, and he came over and signed them despite the those around him trying to hurry him along. Good guy.
"I ain't heard that much worth listening to. Just a lot of guys laying down a lot of rules and regulations."
plutoman
World Champion

Postby AlesiFan » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 11:27 am

More sad news.I only started watching him in 1989 but Andrea was always greatly entertaining - if not always for the right reasons! My favourite Andrea story was when Eddie Irvine got banned for taking people out at the start of the 1994 season .EJ was casting around for a replacement and alledgedly Andrea phoned him up and told him in the Jordan he reckoned he could finish 4th in Monaco. Eddie took this with a pinch of salt, especially after Andrea crashed first time out at Imola.He then finished 4th in Monaco.... Don't know how true this is but wouldn't surprise me if it was!
Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise........Run in the shadows.........Damn your love, damn your lies...........
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 1:30 pm

I remember that. That 4th in Monaco was a great drive by anyone's standards. He had his moments.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby NewMrMe » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 6:56 pm

Very sad weekend.
NewMrMe

Return to General Motorsport Mumblings