2 Wheel FAQ (hows and whys of all bike sport)

General discussion on any motorsport related topic

Moderator: Murray Walker

2 Wheel FAQ (hows and whys of all bike sport)

Postby Flatdog » Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:30 pm

As per Alex's idea, I have put up a thread where all things bike can be asked about and answered by any of us.
If you have a question that needs answering, I/we will do our best to provide....

p.s this is for 2-wheeled questions only. those of a medical nature should be pm'ed to the resident medically inclined Anjx... ;)

p.p.s no question is too small or daft! we all start from knowing nothing so dont be shy....
Ibvapa iwewe!
Flatdog

Postby LadySnowcat » Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:37 pm

Great idea to have this on the General thread FD as this will remind us F1ers not to forget this exciting aspect of motorsport...

I hope I can ask a question....

How and why is WSB (World Superbikes) different and/or separate from MotoGP....
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Flatdog » Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:50 pm

LadySnowcat wrote:How and why is WSB (World Superbikes) different and/or separate from MotoGP....

ok...here goes....hope you can follow my jumbled explanations...

moto gp is a prototype racing series. WSB is a production based series.

the finer detail is as such...

moto gp :- bike capacity is now 800cc. it can be as many or as few cylinders as you like, but the more cylinders you have, the more of a weight penalty you have. as it stands, all the bikes on the grid are 4 cylinder but some are V4's and some (kawasaki and yamaha) are inline 4's...
otherwise, there are not many restrictions on how the bike is made, and how many of them are ever built...

WSB :- these are inline 4 cylinder 1000cc production bikes or 1200cc(with air intake restrictors) V-twins. all machines have to pass homologation which is there have to be a bare minimum of 100 machines released to the public for sale. as these are for the most part, the big sports bikes that you see whizz past you on sunny sunday mornings, this is not a problem for most manufacturers.

there are a host of smaller minor details but that is the basic outline to it all. both series have support classes, WSB has World Supersport( 600cc production bikes) and moto gp has the 125 and 250cc championships.

hope that helps..... ;)
Ibvapa iwewe!
Flatdog

Postby LadySnowcat » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 8:51 am

Thanks FD...

So I guess that the support series follow the lead event...

Production bikes for WSBs and prototype bikes for MotoGP...

Is this correct?...
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Murray Walker » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:09 am

p.p.s no question is too small or daft! we all start from knowing nothing so dont be shy

Okay. Why do bikes only have two wheels when four are better? :)

Running to hide....
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby Alexander Lyons » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:15 am

This is a great start, Cheers Flatdog :!:

so currently in Moto there are few weight penalties as regard to the bikes,

but I take it the weight of the driver is also taken into account when adding weight on.

the drivers themselves: what is the usual route they come up through to get in to Moto and WSB

NB: cant you please also include BSB as i enjoyed that last season, Thanks
ImageImage

Roaring Lyons Racing F1 Team: Won in Turkey on 26-8-07
Alexander Lyons
World Champion

Postby Flatdog » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:24 am

Murray Walker wrote:Okay. Why do bikes only have two wheels when four are better? :)

Running to hide....

be afraid.......

be Very afraid......

;)
Ibvapa iwewe!
Flatdog

Postby Flatdog » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:33 am

Alexander Lyons wrote:This is a great start, Cheers Flatdog :!:

so currently in Moto there are few weight penalties as regard to the bikes,

but I take it the weight of the driver is also taken into account when adding weight on.

the drivers themselves: what is the usual route they come up through to get in to Moto and WSB

NB: cant you please also include BSB as i enjoyed that last season, Thanks

:victory)

1. the current weight limit for a 4cyl moto gp bike is 148kg (325.6 lbs)

see here for a wiki explanation....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix ... ng#Weights

the weight of the RIDER (ahem! :lol) ) is not taken into account. he/she can be as fat and lardy or as dani pedrosa-like as you want. being light or heavy has pros and cons and they kinda cancel each other out....ish...

2. BSB (british super bike) is very similar to WSB and is based on production motorcyles too. there are a few technical differences in the rules, but for the average viewer, its the same type of racing. even run on raceday in the same way...

;)
Ibvapa iwewe!
Flatdog

Postby Flatdog » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:40 am

LadySnowcat wrote:Thanks FD...

So I guess that the support series follow the lead event...

Production bikes for WSBs and prototype bikes for MotoGP...

Is this correct?...

in moto gp, the support classes precede the "main event"....

in WSB/BSB, there is a main race, then the support race(WSS or BSS) and then another main race. this is how they are run and broadcast, but there are other classes that run as well in the WSB and BSB meetings. there is the GSXR cup,(all on suzuki gsxr750's), the R6 cup (yamaha R6's) and a few others...

confused yet? lots of races, due to them generally taking about 30-45 min each....the riders cant do 70 laps of silverstone/donnington as the physical demand is just too high so i guess you would class them as "sprint" races...
Ibvapa iwewe!
Flatdog

Postby Alexander Lyons » Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:42 am

so that is why you often get two races(same class) at one race meeting in BSB for example
ImageImage

Roaring Lyons Racing F1 Team: Won in Turkey on 26-8-07
Alexander Lyons
World Champion

Postby LadySnowcat » Fri 16 Nov, 2007 1:22 pm

So is there a general route through the various classes for an aspiring driver I wonder....

Or is it pretty varied like F1 (although there everyone does a spell in karts before cars)....
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Flatdog » Fri 16 Nov, 2007 2:17 pm

LadySnowcat wrote:So is there a general route through the various classes for an aspiring driver I wonder....

Or is it pretty varied like F1 (although there everyone does a spell in karts before cars)....

the general route for europeans into moto gp is through 1st their national 125 series and then onto world series. there is now a redbull sponsored rookies cup which is also a talent spotting class for the bigger stage, but most will have come through the spanish and italian championships.
for the aussies, there is a bit of a difference, as they have to move continents to be noticed by a team. stoner first started in britain,(if memory serves...) and then went onto 125 & 250s....
Chris V also started in the british series but moved to WSS and then WSB

the americans come through their national (AMA) series and then maybe WSB or straight to motogp...

sadly, history has shown that the riders who come through the 125 & 250 ranks, are traditionally the more successful and this is borne out by recent results too...
Ibvapa iwewe!
Flatdog

Postby LadySnowcat » Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:26 pm

Let's hope that JT bucks the trend....

FD do any of the bikes series have traction control or does it not matter on a bike?....
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Postby Flatdog » Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:41 pm

LadySnowcat wrote:Let's hope that JT bucks the trend....

FD do any of the bikes series have traction control or does it not matter on a bike?....

:shock: it matters more on a bike....coz the consequences of getting it wrong are severe to say the least!

the moto gp bikes and the WSB bikes have traction control. the 250s and 125s have none but am not sure about WSS. BSB does have it too i think.
it is now, in conjunction with engine management, a very important part of bike racing, as the engines push out so much power, it would be almost impossible to ride them without some TC. there is a lot of "ban TC" talk on the forums but it is not realistic. a control TC or a reduction in TC might be feasible, but for now, it keeps the riders from doing this too often...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqcUtx1ioCI

keeps it safer with TC but the top riders can control it without TC too and then skill plays a bigger part.
Ibvapa iwewe!
Flatdog

Postby LadySnowcat » Sat 17 Nov, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks FD....

I guess you are saying that it's a power thing then...

Lots of power gives the need for TC....

Sounds sensible...

Do they have engine management software which is read from the pits like in F1....
Lady Snowcat
LadySnowcat

Next

Return to General Motorsport Mumblings