Lance Armstrong....was he clean?

When you have time and after you have digested all things Motoring would you like to discuss other sporting fields, if so pull up a sofa and use Sportingmumblings as your food for discussion.. Bon appetite!!

Moderator: RedPoole

Poll ended at Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:02 am

Yup - squeaky
56%
Nope - sleazy
44%

Total votes : 9

Postby yeoldetifosi » Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:02 am

A tad savoury I know but I'm always curious to know what people think about an issue such as this.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin.
yeoldetifosi
Elite Mumbler

Postby grandprixmonkey » Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:05 am

I'd like to hope so, but the monkey is very scientific and doesn't like to vote without evidence to back up his gut feelings...
grandprixmonkey
Winner

Postby stradlin21 » Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:08 am

i'd hope he was

i think Ulrich would be mad if he wasnt

how many times did Armstrong beat him?? bout 6?
Bring me my crown
stradlin21
Winner

Postby St. Mackem of Kansas » Thu 11 Jan, 2007 12:57 am

Lance was a freak of nature, I saw a documentary on him and he was a freak....he did not have to cheat!
F1 Formula 1 IRL Champ Cars
St. Mackem of Kansas
World Champion

Postby AlesiFan » Thu 11 Jan, 2007 7:53 pm

grandprixmonkey wrote:I'd like to hope so, but the monkey is very scientific and doesn't like to vote without evidence to back up his gut feelings...

As a trained scientist I tend to ignore all this evidence cobblers. :lol:

And my gut feeling is he can't be clean.
He is in a sport where drugs are taken as normal practice.Put it this way if he is clean the guys he beat must be really pissed off - they were drugged to the eyeballs. :lol:
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby craggle78 » Thu 11 Jan, 2007 8:26 pm

I doubt the guy is clean (IMO!!!!)

Tour de France is over 20 odd days and 20 odd stages, and some cycling up pretty much veritcal mountains......................Thats why I have my doubts.

Plus the sport is knee deep in drugs. Its unlikely that Lance could consistantly beat the guys that were drugged up to the eye balls year on year unless (IMO again) he is using some himself. If not then the guys that are using drugs should get a refund as plainly they aren't working very well and/or Lance is beyond super human.

Also there has been far to much speculation and mud slung his direction regarding preformance enhancing drugs and his alledged usage(No smoke without fire and all that!). He is STILL an amazing athlete, I just think that its got to a point now in cycling that you must risk it and take somekind of performance enhancing drug to be able to compete at the VERY highest level.
www.motorsportmumblings.com
the independant motorsport forum
craggle78
Winner

Postby highlander2 » Thu 11 Jan, 2007 9:30 pm

I have to believe he was, having supported him through all his seven TdF victories, ridden in his "Ride of the Roses" in Austin and read every book by or about him. I believe like Mac he is just an unbelievable athlete.
But at the end of the day, whatever we may submit is only our opinion, and unless proven differently I will stick with mine.
H2 Racing
highlander2
World Champion

Postby AlesiFan » Thu 11 Jan, 2007 10:10 pm

highlander2 wrote:I have to believe he was, having supported him through all his seven TdF victories, ridden in his "Ride of the Roses" in Austin and read every book by or about him. I believe like Mac he is just an unbelievable athlete.
But at the end of the day, whatever we may submit is only our opinion, and unless proven differently I will stick with mine.

You have to say if Lance is clean he must be just about the most unfairly criticised athlete of all time.
Part of the problem is of course guilt by association.It's like boxing - the sport he is involved in is corrupted so people assume he is too.
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby Rob » Fri 12 Jan, 2007 6:31 pm

I don't think Lance was clean, but then again I think you's be hard pressed to go back in the last 10 years of cycling and find 5 guys who were clean and successful.
Rob
Podium

Postby highlander2 » Fri 12 Jan, 2007 7:17 pm

Again, this is based on mainly unsupported critisism, not fact.
H2 Racing
highlander2
World Champion

Postby St. Mackem of Kansas » Fri 12 Jan, 2007 7:24 pm

lance was clean...but those old europeans hate getting beat by the yanks!!!!!!
St. Mackem of Kansas
World Champion

Postby yeoldetifosi » Fri 12 Jan, 2007 7:25 pm

St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:lance was clean...but those old europeans hate getting beat by the yanks!!!!!!

The europeans loved Greg LeMonde!
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
George Carlin.
yeoldetifosi
Elite Mumbler

Postby highlander2 » Fri 12 Jan, 2007 7:41 pm

yeoldetifosi wrote:
St. Mackem of Kansas wrote:lance was clean...but those old europeans hate getting beat by the yanks!!!!!!

The europeans loved Greg LeMonde!

Ha, ha, ha. :D :D :D
H2 Racing
highlander2
World Champion

Postby St. Mackem of Kansas » Fri 12 Jan, 2007 7:41 pm

The Europeans loved all the Yanks......when they were kicking the Germans out of their countries!

;-)

Well OK the Germans wernt that keen on them at the time.....oh and the Italians......spoiling their lil ole expansion party!
St. Mackem of Kansas
World Champion

Postby highlander2 » Fri 12 Jan, 2007 7:46 pm

Mac, that's getting political :!: :!: :!: You may have to Moderate yourself
H2 Racing
highlander2
World Champion

Next

Return to Other Sports