Nakajima impresses Williams!

Moderator: CrazyChick

Nakajima impresses Williams!

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:45 am

Planet-F1 wrote:Nakajima impresses Williams (but not their mechanics)
Monday 22nd October 2007

Kazuki Nakajima has driven himself into contention for a race seat with Williams next season with an astonishingly quick debut at the Brazilian GP.

Although he finished out of the points after a dreadful outing in Saturday's qualifying session, Nakajima outpaced highly-rated team-mate Nico Rosberg to finish fifth in the race's Fastest Laps timesheets.

"He had a dreadful qualifying yesterday, it was very poor and we weren't very happy about that, but today he redeemed himself and more," Sam Michael, the team's Technical Director, told Reuters.

"He set fifth fastest race lap, faster than Nico and Alonso and he did the whole last stint in the mid to low 13s. He couldn't have done a better job today really, although he didn't score any points. He really put himself back on the map."

However, Michael remained coy on the Japanese youngster's prospects of replacing the retired Alex Wurz on a full-time basis next year.

"With a performance like that I'm quite sure that he'll race in Formula One. When, I don't know."

However, Nakajima's race was blemished by a mistake in the pits that saw him run into two of the team's mechanics.

"First of all I would say I'm really sorry that some of my mechanics were injured during my pitstop and that I hope they're ok. It was a good first race for me but it was slightly overshadowed," he reflected.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby AlesiFan » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:21 am

Well he impressed Sam Michael which isn't quite the same thing.

I don't think Frank and Patrick do impressed. :lol:

But I thought he did well too - kept it on the road which he hasnt always done in the support races.....
AlesiFan
Elite Mumbler

Postby Winfield » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 1:02 pm

He's in contention for a permanent race seat?

Williams F1 had better make sure they've got sufficent shares in BUPA, then ;)
:-P <-- Krusty the Clown...or Valentino Rossi?

Winfield
Winner

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 1:04 pm

Another possible nail in the coffin of the careers of Fisi and Ralf?
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby vikki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:08 pm

Murray Walker wrote:Another possible nail in the coffin of the careers of Fisi and Ralf?

i think patrick would rather drive the car himself than get ralf back. :lol:

but who knows? never say never in f1.............
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby vikki » Sun 28 Oct, 2007 8:25 pm

didnt see this posted anywhere.naka jnr expects to be in gp2 next season.

i think he will be too.and if he doesnt make so many daft mistakes he could be in with a shout of the title. :no)

Kazuki Nakajima says he expects to continue racing in the GP2 Series in 2008.

The Japanese driver has combined the Formula 1 feeder series with testing duties for Williams this year and made his race debut for the Grove squad at the season finale in Brazil last weekend.

Although Williams made it clear that the purpose of his run-out wasn’t as a trial for the vacant race seat at the team next season, the 22-year-old raced strongly at Interlagos to 10th place with a lap-time marginally faster than team-mate Nico Rosberg who finished a fine fourth.

However Nakajima insists that although a race seat in F1 next year isn’t out of the question, he will more than likely continue in GP2 for a second season.

"It isn't impossible for me to get an F1 seat next year, but I think it will be another year in GP2," he told The Red Bulletin magazine at Interlagos.

“I think before Christmas, I will be testing in F1 again, which will be a good opportunity to show what I can do, but I really don't know yet."

The son of former F1 driver Satoru earned the rookie of the year award for his debut season of GP2 after finishing fifth in the championship after scoring six podium positions.

In addition to his general testing duties for Williams throughout the year, he drove in five Friday practice sessions for the team over grand prix weekends.

He says he has learnt a lot from his predecessor in the role and has been pleased with the contribution he has made to the team’s successful season.

"Feedback, as a test driver, is the most important thing, and I've been lucky to have Alex to learn from this season," he said.

“The usual format has been for me to drive the first [test] day and Alex the second, which gives me the opportunity to observe what he does and says, and compare it with what I've done – if we were doing and saying the same things, then I could be confident that I was doing the job correctly.

“Most of the time I think I got it right, and it makes you comfortable in the team, knowing that you're making a contribution."
<itv-f1.com>
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby Wacky » Tue 30 Oct, 2007 8:25 pm

Im bettin the mechanics of the front left wheel arnt too impressed
The Early Bird Gets the Worm, But The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.
Wacky

Postby Anj x » Tue 30 Oct, 2007 9:43 pm

I am off to mow down some mechanics myself if this is what it takes..... 8)
Anj x

Return to 2007 Racing