British Veterans Split Over 'Cool Fuel' Saga

Moderator: CrazyChick

British Veterans Split Over 'Cool Fuel' Saga

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:43 pm

Two veterans of the British formula one scene are split over Lewis Hamilton's hopes of winning the 2007 world championship at an upcoming Court of Appeal hearing.

Former team boss Eddie Jordan, whose Silverstone based outfit is currently known as Spyker, agrees that stewards at the Brazilian grand prix probably made the right decision not to penalise a trio of questionably legal cars.

Had Nico Rosberg (Williams) and the two BMW-Saubers been excluded for using fuel that was too cold on Sunday, Hamilton would have gained the points he needed to beat Kimi Raikkonen to the crown.

But Jordan told BBC's Radio Five Live that it is impossible to prove that the trio's fuel was too cold at the time that it entered their cars.

"I'm not sure you can do that unless you've got a very, very sophisticated special rigging system telling the telemetry as the fuel is going through the gantry into the car," he said.

"Clearly, if it was there and it was readily available, the stewards would have acted on that and it would have had an immediate effect with the cars being excluded," Jordan added.

1996 world champion Damon Hill, meanwhile, bristled at the stewards decision, suggesting that a witch-hunt against McLaren may still be going on.

"I think on past performance the FIA is prepared to persecute McLaren for any infringement that they've made this season," said the Briton.

Hill also thinks that the fact Ferrari stood to lose the title may have influenced the stewards' decision in Brazil.

"There is that feeling," he admitted.

"You have to say there's no doubt there does sometimes seem to be one rule for Ferrari and another for everyone else."

GMM / F1Complete
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Postby Fiorano » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 3:03 pm

damon still going on his little englander bs still.

he wasn't complaining about the stewards when schumacher got a dodgy black flag at silverstone in 94 AND a dodgy exclusion from spa without which he would never had had a hope of getting near that title.

damon...STFU!!!
Fiorano
World Champion

Postby Sharknose » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 4:03 pm

I heard Eddie Jordan on the news this morning and for someone who used to own & run a team he talked the biggest load of cr@p!
Sharknose
Podium

Postby Anj x » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 5:13 pm

Celebrity death match beckons.....Eddie vs Damon..... :roll: FFS its done and over, have we not been subjected to enough old whingeing farts this season....enough already!!
Anj x

Postby Kiki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:00 pm

And Eddie and Damon used to be such good friends....
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby vikki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:04 pm

bit dissappointed with damons comments tbh.

when williams was pulled up for having dodgy fuel in the '95 brazilian gp i dont remember damon calling for the team to be excluded.yet 12 years on he appears to think williams should be disqualified.....

bit sad that someone who i thought always acted with quite a bit of dignity when racing should become some sort of union jack waving rent-a-quote ranking alongside publicity seeking tw@ts like eddie jordan. :?

Damon Hill has accused Formula One’s race stewards of exercising double standards by refusing to implement the punishment that would have handed Lewis Hamilton the world championship.

Hamilton, who was denied the chance to win the title in his debut season by a single point after finishing a disastrous seventh in the Brazilian Grand Prix yesterday, could see his hopes resurrected if his McLaren team win an appeal against the latest controversial decision from the FIA.

Race stewards at Interlagos decided not to disqualify Williams or BMW despite irregularities with their cars’ fuel temperatures that is thought to have given them an illegal performance advantage.

Had they been punished, 22-year-old Hamilton would have been elevated to fourth place, giving him the title and denying race winner Kimi Raikkonen the F1 crown.

McLaren have been on the wrong side of FIA decisions on more than one occasion this season, not least when they were fined £50million in the ‘spy’ saga.

Hill, Britain’s last world champion, said: “Rules are rules. The FIA have found some teams are in breach of the regulations.

“If this had been something McLaren had done during the season, do you think the FIA would have insisted that their cars were legal or illegal?

“I think on past performance they’re prepared to persecute McLaren for any infringement that they’ve made this season.

“It does get quite difficult to see where the consistency lies because if you go back to the beginning of the season, McLaren’s argument is that Ferrari won the very first race using a device which was later found to be illegal by the FIA.

“They removed it but the result stood. It’s very unsettling to have this appeal, but there is so much at stake and the FIA have to find somehow a way of being consistent.

“I can see how a couple of degrees fuel temperature can be regarded as being so negligible that it wouldn’t make any difference.

“But we’re talking about such tiny differences all the time in Formula One, there has to be a line where you’re one side or the other."

Hill believes the double standards especially apply where Ferrari are concerned.

“There is that feeling," he said. “You have to say there’s no doubt there does sometimes seem to be one rule for Ferrari and another for everyone else. Ferrari are very important to the sport."

Meanwhile, Eddie Jordan, the former team boss, believes Lewis Hamilton has no chance of being handed the Formula One world title unless McLaren can categorically prove their rivals cheated.

“You’ve got to prove that the fuel that went into the car, at the time that it went into the car, was 10 degrees lower than what the ambient temperature was," he said.

“I’m not sure you can do that unless you’ve got very, very sophisticated special rigging system telling the telemetry as the fuel is going through the gantry into the car.

“Clearly, if it was there and it was readily available, the stewards would have acted on that and it would have had an immediate effect with the cars being excluded. The stewards have come out and said there was no such evidence."

Jordan added: “I don’t see how they can get this overturned and suddenly get Lewis Hamilton champion."

Jordan accepts Williams and BMW would have gained a significant advantage from cooler fuel.

“Yes, there is an advantage, no doubt about it," he said. “If you put cooled or chilled fuel in a car, you get a 5-10 per cent horsepower increase.

“That is a significant amount and could be enough to exclude the car. But I’m not sure how at this late stage you can actually get that proved."
<timesonline.co.uk>
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby Kiki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:10 pm

I hardly think Damon would call for his own team to be disqualified in 1995 would he? He was a mere driver in those days, not Head of [whatever it is he's head of now]. And as Williams sacked him after he was champion in 96, he isn't too fond of them these days.
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby vikki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:11 pm

Kiki wrote:I hardly think Damon would call for his own team to be disqualified in 1995 would he?

well he was the one banging on about double standards............
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby Kiki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:15 pm

Was he banging on about double standards in 1995? :?
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby vikki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:16 pm

Kiki wrote:Was he banging on about double standards in 1995? :?

no he was too busy losing the world championship. :lol:
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler

Postby Kiki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:21 pm

Or.... Being Cheated Out Of It By That Schumacher Fellow >>>>>:L
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 9:01 pm

Kiki wrote:Or.... Being Cheated Out Of It By That Schumacher Fellow >>>>>:L

In what way did he cheat DH out of the '95 WDC. Very simple. MS spent most of his time on the circuit, scored loads of points and won the WDC. Hill spent most of his '95 season trying his hand at rallycross and didn't score as many points as MS, hence MS is the '95 champ.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 9:04 pm

bit sad that someone who i thought always acted with quite a bit of dignity when racing should become some sort of union jack waving rent-a-quote ranking alongside publicity seeking tw@ts like eddie jordan

Sorry Vikki. Have to stop you there %$#>:::P

Eddie may be a publicity seeking, rent-a-quote tw@t but I can't imagine him waving a union jack. He has some standards ;)
Murray Walker

Postby Kiki » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 9:25 pm

Murray Walker wrote:

In what way did he cheat DH out of the '95 WDC. Very simple. MS spent most of his time on the circuit, scored loads of points and won the WDC. Hill spent most of his '95 season trying his hand at rallycross and didn't score as many points as MS, hence MS is the '95 champ.

No, lets see. Schumacher realised his car was damaged, and if he just nudged Damon just a little bit ['oops, my car was out of control'], he would stop Damon from finishing and win by one point. Damon just needed to finish the race to be champion. Schumacher knew this, so instead of parking his damaged car, turned it just a little bit to damage the Williams beyond repair. He also tried this on Villeneuve in 97 [?] but that time he took himself off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It was completely obvious to everyone, I think you are looking back with rose coloured glasses :P
Kiki
Rewritten History

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 9:31 pm

Kiki wrote:
Murray Walker wrote:

No, lets see. Schumacher realised his car was damaged, and if he just nudged Damon just a little bit ['oops, my car was out of control'], he would stop Damon from finishing and win by one point. Damon just needed to finish the race to be champion. Schumacher knew this, so instead of parking his damaged car, turned it just a little bit to damage the Williams beyond repair. He also tried this on Villeneuve in 97 [?] but that time he took himself off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It was completely obvious to everyone, I think you are looking back with rose coloured glasses :P

I think you'll find that Hill lost by considerably more than one point in '95.....
Murray Walker

Next

Return to 2007 Racing