Di Montezemolo Unruffled By Appeal

Moderator: CrazyChick

Di Montezemolo Unruffled By Appeal

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:58 pm

By Michele Lostia and Matt Beer, Monday 22nd October 2007

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo says he is not concerned about McLaren's decision to appeal against the race stewards' verdict in the Brazilian Grand Prix fuel sample controversy.

Kimi Raikkonen could lose his title to Lewis Hamilton if Nico Rosberg, Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld are penalised for the irregularities in the temperature of fuel samples taken from their cars.

The race stewards ruled that there was no proof that the Williams and BMWs - which finished ahead of Hamilton in fourth to sixth places - had contravened the regulations, but McLaren have notified the FIA that they will attempt to have the decision overturned on appeal.

This has left a cloud of uncertainty over Raikkonen's championship victory, but di Montezemolo said he believes McLaren's appeal will be a futile gesture.

"It looks to me like it is a useless stress for everyone," he told Italian radio station RAI.

"The regulations say that even if some car gets disqualified, it doesn't mean that the points are automatically given to the others."

Di Montezemolo also suggested that the FIA should reconsider how the technical regulations were enforced and appoint professional stewards rather than the current unpaid officials.

"Enough of that, let's look ahead and let's send professional stewards to the races instead of amateurs at large," he said.

"It must be said that the complexity of today's cars creates difficulties in checks and verifications, from the electronics to the fuels, aerodynamics and everything else. Everything is about hundredths of seconds."

Autosport
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
CrazyChick
Admin

Re: Di Montezemolo Unruffled By Appeal

Postby Sharknose » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 1:54 pm

a little humour at Luca's expense - tongue firmly in cheek!

Luca Montezemolo? wrote:It looks to me like it is a useless stress for everyone, when we all know Max will never change the result in McLaren's favour. The regulations say that even if some car gets disqualified, it doesn't mean that the points are automatically given to the others, only to Ferrari"

Enough of that, let's look ahead and let's send professional stewards to the races instead of amateurs at large. I mean how are we supposed to control the decisions these independent minds make? If the stewards are in the employ of the FIA everything will be... how can I put it?... Simpler.

It must be said that the complexity of today's cars creates difficulties in checks and verifications, from the electronics to the fuels, aerodynamics and everything else. We should know with all the stuff we've tried this year - now we've stopped Stepney asking for clarification from the FIA they can't find anything we're up to. Everything is about hundredths of seconds... ...and politics"

:lol:
Sharknose
Podium

Return to 2007 Racing