Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Discuss F1 drivers present, past and future...where they've come from and where they are heading... why they are good, bad or ugly.... You know a fact or have a view on the lucky few who make it into an F1 drivers seat...let us know....

Moderator: LadySnowcat

Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby ForzaAlonso » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 10:24 pm

BBC's Andrew Benson thinks so

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 688403.stm

Could he emulate Herr Schumacher? I dont think he will. Close though. He has at the moment more drivers capable of beating him on the day then MS had during those years of domination where he chalked up all those wins and titles. Drivers include Raikkonen, Massa, Kubica, Alonso, Vettel etc etc
Forza GP
Image
User avatar
ForzaAlonso
Elite Mumbler
 
Posts: 5833
Joined: Thu 11 Jan, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Báile Átha Cliath

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby vikki » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 10:38 pm

firstly i think the one indisputable fact is andrew benson is an a$re. :P

the second indisputable fact is lewis is an incredible natural talent.

however a driver is nothing without the team so lewis needs macca to keep competitive - which is likely but not certain.

he has his flaws but so did all the great drivers i have watched.given the car he could go on and dominate but there are a lot of variables in there - and hopefully some of the other young guns can be up there challenging to make it entertaining for us!
bernie is a hobbit
vikki
Elite Mumbler
 
Posts: 10299
Joined: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 5:54 pm

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby Sculptor » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 10:46 pm

vikki wrote:firstly i think the one indisputable fact is andrew benson is an a$re. :P

the second indisputable fact is lewis is an incredible natural talent.

however a driver is nothing without the team so lewis needs macca to keep competitive - which is likely but not certain.

he has his flaws but so did all the great drivers i have watched.given the car he could go on and dominate but there are a lot of variables in there - and hopefully some of the other young guns can be up there challenging to make it entertaining for us!


Yeah, what Vikki said :-x
User avatar
Sculptor
Forum Artist
 
Posts: 5136
Joined: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:18 pm

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby Anj x » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 12:19 pm

Schumi is Schumi and Lewis will be Lewis.

However Lewis attains whatever status he reaches will emulate no one but Lewis Hamilton.

It will be interesting to watch but, in my schumibias opinion, and denial, he will never be schumacher...I am basing this on the fact that we now have 3 world championship drivers up there on the grid, with other just as good driver in with a chance....ie: strong competition.


Loathe as I am to point this out...but until Alonso, and post Senna....who did Schumi have to contend with???

and if anyone says Hill or Villeneuve...well, just try it ;)
"I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance"
Anj x
Moderator
 
Posts: 8540
Joined: Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:51 am

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby CrazyChick » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 2:31 pm

Anj x wrote:Schumi is Schumi and Lewis will be Lewis.

However Lewis attains whatever status he reaches will emulate no one but Lewis Hamilton.

It will be interesting to watch but, in my schumibias opinion, and denial, he will never be schumacher...I am basing this on the fact that we now have 3 world championship drivers up there on the grid, with other just as good driver in with a chance....ie: strong competition.


Loathe as I am to point this out...but until Alonso, and post Senna....who did Schumi have to contend with???

and if anyone says Hill or Villeneuve...well, just try it ;)


Hakkinen and the other Finn - Kimi Raikkonen ;)
2012 Motorsport Champions:
Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel, IRL: Ryan Hunter-Reay, NASCAR: Brad Keselowski, GP2: Davide Valsecchi, WSR: Robin Frijns, British F3: Jack Harvey, Euro F3: Daniel Juncadella, GP3: Mitch Evans, Formula 2: Luciano Bacheta.
WRC: Sebastien Loeb, BTCC: Gordon Sheddon, WTCC: Rob Huff, DTM: Bruno Spengler.
MotoGP: Jorge Lorenzo, WSB: Max Biaggi, BSB: Shane Byrne, Moto2: Marc Marquez, Moto 3: Sandro Cortese.
www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm
User avatar
CrazyChick
Admin
 
Posts: 11392
Joined: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: JB: "Playing with my steering wheel"

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby Frozen_pea » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 3:17 pm

Montoya ;) Ralf :lol)
User avatar
Frozen_pea
Admin
 
Posts: 1908
Joined: Thu 10 May, 2007 10:19 am
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby Murray Walker » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 9:11 pm

I believe Schumacher was the greatest I've seen. But his 91 GP victories and 7 WDCs were down to the brilliance of the Ferrari team of the time (he couldn't have won much in a Minardi, all drivers need a decent car to win) and he played a large part in making Ferrari the team they were in those days.

Hamilton will need McLaren to maintain a similar level of competitiveness if he is to emmulate Schumacher's success. This could be the beginnning of another era of McLaren dominance. But I doubt it. Ferrari had the car and driver to beat Lewis/McLaren this year but lost points due to unreliability and their silly pit stop system. I expect they will sort this out over the winter. I also expect Alonso and Renault to be a major threat next year, and BMW will be thereabouts as well. Lewis will really have to fight to maintain his title.

Also, I can't really think of anyone apart from maybe Hakkinen (when he was awake) who could have challenged MS's supremecy as a driver for most of his career. There are a number of drivers who could challenge Hamilton and two (Alonso and Vettel) who I believe are better.
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
Oh, I am very much mistaken!
Murray Walker
Moderator
 
Posts: 20286
Joined: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby Mac » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 10:51 pm

in 07 Alonso and Lewis took point off each other, allowing Raikkonen to come through in the end

in 08 Massa and Raikkonen took points from eachother, plus we had vettal, Heidfeild, Kubica and Alonso taking serious points.

Hekki was a big disapointment, what would he have not achived in a lesser car?

Lewis does have more drivers in a position to challenge him, as did Piquet (snr), Mansell, Senna, Prost.

Arguably Schumacher only really ever had one major rival to contend with each season he contested.

So far Lewis has had a remarkable set of averages, 13 poles, 9 wins, 2 fastest laps and 207 points from 35 races.

Asuming he continues on this path for the next 13 years, he "could" end up with something in the region of 67 wins, 7 WDC, 97 poles, 1500 points and 15 fastest laps

I think it unlikely, for one thing he had a gift of a car, for another he has a gift of tallent.

I doubt he will always have the best car, but to counter, he is maturing verry fast and will IMO only get better.

To go for a long term bet, I'll wager 4x WDC, 55 wins, 80, poles and 30 fastest laps
User avatar
Mac
Senna Fan
 
Posts: 4873
Joined: Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Where I am

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby Sculptor » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 9:06 am

Its impossible to say how long the marriage to Mclaren will last for Lewis, maybe forever, I don't know but one thing is for sure, any team who is at the top of the game will want him on board, so as a 23 year old with a good 12-15 years of racing left in him he could well blow the stats book to pieces. On the other hand he could stuff it in the first corner of Auz and lights out, all over!

Schumi didnt really reach his prime until he was in his 30's and then there was no stopping him. There are many comparisons between both drivers....True racers is the biggest one imo!
User avatar
Sculptor
Forum Artist
 
Posts: 5136
Joined: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:18 pm

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby Sculptor » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 9:16 am

Murray Walker wrote:
Also, I can't really think of anyone apart from maybe Hakkinen (when he was awake) who could have challenged MS's supremecy as a driver for most of his career. There are a number of drivers who could challenge Hamilton and two (Alonso and Vettel) who I believe are better.


Considering that Fernando and Lewis were both in the same car last year and it was designed around Fernandos driving style, the points difference would argue that Fernando is indeed not a better driver.....That surely is the acid test between any 2 drivers!
User avatar
Sculptor
Forum Artist
 
Posts: 5136
Joined: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 10:18 pm

Re: Is Hamilton Destined For Greatness?

Postby Kop Alonso » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 8:35 pm

Is is far too early in Lewis's F1 career to say what may happen.....

But what IMO opinion he does have is "Star Quality" as Bernie might call it ....

:-x
Image
User avatar
Kop Alonso
Elite Mumbler
 
Posts: 5743
Joined: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Pink Panther Country


Return to Drivers Debate and News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron